Interesting Firepot design, but I can't find one!

Has anybody ever seen or used a firepot like the one in this sketch?
http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/Pictures/Pictures.htm
---Does anyone know where to get one?
Pete Stanaitis --------------------
spaco wrote:

Could you not make one? Doesn't look TOO difficult
--
bigegg

I suppose one could, but the original was all cast iron.
Pete Stanaitis -------------------
bigegg wrote:

Two things.
1) Still can't see your website, and it's not from my end. Could you cantact other customers served by your hosting company? I think that as I'm not a customer I can't make the changes necessary for my country to see your web site.
2) Do you want something cast in cast iron? I have a few friends in America that cast metal in the backyard. Contact me off list if you want to get the ball rolling.
Regards Charles
spaco wrote:

I'm sorry for teasing you with things like this Charles.
Brian emailed me on Monday saying that his company (my isp) had put in a trouble ticket on it. I thought I'd give it a week or so before checking again.
Pete Stanaitis ---------------
Chilla wrote:

Did you want one of my American contacts to make you a firepot to your spec?
Regards Charles
spaco wrote:

Thank you, Charles, but I am not interested in making one. Just lazy, I guess. From my experience with casting metals, it would take a lot of work to make and test the patterns for all the parts. Even if I had one of those firepots to start with, casting that hollow "jar shaped" part would be a real challenge. I'm not even sure of the exact size! As you know, cast iron shrinks about 1/8" per foot, so the patterns would have to be bigger than the original part. I have had some parts cast from an original piece where that shrinkage doesn't matter, but even then, getting the sprues (feeders and vents) right has become an issue.
One example of the difficulties is a bogie wheel that we make for an old ATV machine called a Cushman Trackster (www.trackster.com). We (My son, with me doing the "engineering") has several thousand dollars into the patterns and we still have to machine more surfaces after casting than we should.
By the way, I did plot the Australian visits to my website since March of this year. The rate dropped considerably in October and continues to trend downward. I sent this data to my ISP and got a reply that it would help to bolster the "trouble ticket". It's a good thing that you "blew the whistle" on this problem or I wouldn't have caught it.
Chilla wrote:

top posting! see below for reply...
spaco wrote:

castable refractory + welded/forged bits?
--
bigegg