I just got a new firepot, It is a little different

I just bought a "Czech" firepot. I have been looking for one for many years.

You can read about it here:

Pete Stanaitis

----------------

Reply to
Pete S

Could you put some more up on this pot? I would like to study it some more. How do you like it? How much and where? etc.

thanks, dave

Reply to
Dave911

Hi, Dave. Here are my responses to your questions:

I think I can find a few pictures that show one installed in a European shop. This is a busy time for me, getting ready for winter, but I will get some more info together on it in the next couple of weeks.

Right now it's my intention to keep it as a collectable, but I think I will set it up as a demonstration unit.

As you can probably tell from the foregoing, I have not used it myself yet. But we saw several of them in use in central Europe in 1999 and in 2001. We even saw a couple of blacksmithing schools that had as many as four of them set up on one large forge table that had a common hood. All the users I saw liked them.

I just paid $600 USD plus $100 shipping for this one. The seller will be sending me a document which, he thinks, is a price list for the various parts. But the prices are in "Kurona" (I think), the Czech Republic national currency, from 1999, two years before the introduction of the Euro. As to "where?": I don't know of anyone in the USA who has one, let alone might have one for sale.

You might try going to this website and making some contacts:

Wow! I just went to that website and it sure brings back memories! What an interesting conference and trip!

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any specific questions, Pete Stanaitis snipped-for-privacy@baldwin-telecom.net

Reply to
Pete S

More to Dave's request for more info on the Czech firepot: In Havard Berglund's recent book, ""The Art of Traditional Blacksmithing, A Norwegian Perspective" (English Edition Copyrighted 2011), he discussed this firepot. He has one and says he is very happy with it. He devotes page 25 to it, with 4 pictures. He calls the "cheeks" "bananas".

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
Pete S