Spaco.org

Hi Guys,

Took a while to figure this one out.

I've been in communication with Airstream trying to contact

There appears to be a syntax error with that site.

You can got to

"if" you drop the "www".

They should have this fixed soon.

The internet is a weird place, sort of makes you wonder how many websites have been dismissed as dead due to that error.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla

Thanks, Charles.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------

Reply to
Pete S

Both

and spaco.org are working for me at the moment (here in the US). But, I've never noticed any problems accessing the site anyway. :)

Reply to
Curt Welch

The US never seemed to have a problem. Only us in Australia.

At one point Airstream blocked users from .au "due to all the spam that came from there".

Got that one sorted.

Went to Whirlpool (a site that reviews ISPs in Australia). The major networks could not get to the site using "www". You could if you used a proxy server, which just confused the techies.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla

There are even other issues that make it hard to get to a website or webpage. For instance: Some servers are case sensitive and some are not. Unfortunately, my own web server IS case sensitive. Long ago I learned to capitalize letters in a file name to separate words, when filenames were limited to 6 or 8 characters. I still do this. So, the following link will work when going to my website:

this one won't:
the "w" in the last "Ironwork" is lower case. My server won't even let me create a new file using that lower case "w" to point people to the correct page. But other servers don't care.

Pete Stanaitis

Pete S

The server can be set, on many servers, to default

to spaco.org.

UNIX and Linux servers are case sensitive, that means that a "FileName" is not the same as" Filename". On Windows servers, the other major server software platform, the old 'case insensitive' rules from MS DOS days still hold firm, and usually "FileName" and "Filename" are interchangeable and mean the same file or directory.

The domain name part of the URL path,

is "resolved" by the Domain Name Server system, and is case insensitive. That is, "Spaco.org" is the same as "spaco.ORG". Or "sPaCo.org".

The rest is your local server's directory names and file names, and meet the rules of the server your ISP uses for your website (many offer the choice between Linux and Windows servers). I like Linux servers, they are often more robust and quicker. Windows servers, for those that use Windows on their home computer, will behave more like the site owner is used to. The choice between Linux/UNIX and Windows as server software makes some techniques and approaches simpler going one way, other times simpler and easier choosing the other. For visitors to most web sites, the difference in handling capital letters in file names is the most noticeable difference.

Many of us will capitalize words > There are even other issues that make it hard to get to a website or > webpage.

BradK

Hi Pete,

I get a response with both those links, but only if I omit the "www", otherwise it's a time out.

You might want to talk to your support guys about this, as you're their customer.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla