SWx 2007 & m$ Outlook 2003

bob z. works with a bunch crazed, install freaks. they all decided to install SWx2007 as soon as the discs hit their desks. so, in order for good ol' bob z. to keep up with the joneses, he had to install also.

bob z. installed '07 at home and it didn't go very well. some of you may remember from another thread that SWx07 wouldn't start. bob z. found out sorta by accident that it was because his C: drive was full. swx is installed on another drive. no errors were given! as soon as bob z. deleted some files, swx ran just fine.

back to point of this post. bob z. installed SWx2007 on this work machine. it installed beautifully and runs beautifully. microsoft outlook does not. it will not start. it gives an error about the business contact manager. is this a known issue? it may be too early for this issue to be common place. this issue may not even be swx related. bob z. just thought he would throw it out there (to the wolves?) to see how it shakes out.

the naughty bits: Dell dimension 8400

3ghz P-4 2gb ram cd-rw ATI Radeon x300 -128mb xp sp2 (32bit)

latest greatest drivers, etc.

bob z. ps here comes the pain, you're no different than the rest...

Reply to
bobzee1

Muggs has had no problems with Outlook 2003 since installing SW2007 on his new laptop. However Muggs has not heard from bobzee in quite a while and he misses his witty input.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

bob z. has not stopped perusing THE newsgroup. bob z. just hasn't felt right about adding his 2 cents - the mood has to be right for bob z. bob z. likes to keep it 'light'. :~)>

bob z. did some digging and found an issue with outlook 2003 and .Net framework v2.0 so, good ol' bob z. uinstalled the .net framework. outlook still doesn't work. now, bob z. is starting to get a little nervous. bob z. hasn't worked at this company very long and doesn't want to be bothering the IT dude so soon. (bob z. doesn't like being the blacksheep of the company.) swx2007 ran fine after the uninstall of .net 2.0, so why does swx2007 install it? why is automatic? is there an option to not install?

bob z.'s ex-coworker (in another state) suggested the windows rollback feature. that works. bob z. has used it once before on his home system. outlook now works, but bob z. is back on swx2006.

bob z. figures he should stop messing around and try to get some work done. bob z. fires up swx2006 and hits the assy he was working on.

FUTURE VERSION

technology rocks your face off...

bob z. ps save, save as, save as previous.

Reply to
bobzee1

Hmm. SW07 and Outlook 03 have been working for me. There have been some patched to Office 03, maybe one of those fixed it while I wasn't looking. Windows update should identify if there are any patches you need. Maybe you will see something there having to do with .net 2.0.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I think that markB should recommend to our SolidWorks World events committee that BobZ make a special stage appearance in New Orleans in

2007. I think that at least half the crowd would get it and roar with laughter.

Thanks for making me laugh at the end of my day; Your the best.

But seriously, please let me know if your problem persists and I'll ask development to look into it.

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

As a perennial lurker and learner, I too always look forward to bob z.'s observations and his amazing ability to make me laugh about problems while still moving forward. I second Mark's suggestion to have bob z. receive his due recognition by the SolidWorks community.

Don

Reply to
DSwavely

I'm a bob z. fan from way back, please post more often!

BTW, I see that you are using the ATI Radeon X300, I bought a Dell for home with that card, the SW site lists it as not recommended becuase of limited amount of accelerated windows. I'm just wondering if you've run into any problems.

Reply to
Freedom Elz

Oh no!!! This video card is a killer. Productivity killer. bob z. doesn't recommend this card for swx at all. This thing is so bad, bob z. can force a BSOD just by opening too many swx files. Seriously - takes this beast to it's knees!

bob z. was talking to the IT dude. The IT dude wants to help, so he is looking at the firegl cards from ATI. The prices of those don't look too outrageous. bob z. has always been a(n?) nVidia fan, so this ought to be fun.

bob z.

Reply to
bobzee1

bob z. just did a bit of research this morning. This was required because of some more issues. bob z. was working and went to put a hole in a part using the wizard of wizards (the hole wizard) and got an error about the database being the wrong version. (quick recap - swx07 install yesterday - outlook won't run - rolled back xp - hole wizard database didn't rollback)

bob z. knows he has to figure out why the swx07 install killed his m$ outlook, so off we go. bob z. went to the micro$oft update page and found the .net 2.0 update. applied it and KA-BLAM-OH (sorta like torsion spring on his garage door this morning...). m$ outlook doesn't work. Back to the update page. The error in outlook is a business contact manager database failure to load or something equally as repulsive. The business contact manager update is only 177mb. Two reboots and two seperate updates later, m$ outlook is running like water through a race horse.

The DOT NET TWO POINT OH is what is killing outlook with the business contact manager. If you are not running the business contact manager, you probably won't see this issue. It, also, appears to be a known issue with micro$oft. Is this another case of micro$oft's left hand not knowing what the right is doing?

In all fairness, if good ol' bob z. had been keeping all of his software up to date, it probably would not have been an issue. As it turns out, this probably shouldn't have even been put into a SolidWorks newsgroup. Hopefully, it will help someone anyway.

bob z. is now ready to rock with a fresh install of SolidWorks 2007, baby!!!

bob z. ps I think that someone is trying to kill me Infecting my blood and destroying my mind

Reply to
bobzee1

He should appear like the neighbor does in Tool Time and never show his face.

snipped-for-privacy@solidworks.com wrote:

Reply to
TOP

I've heard rumors that you can take an x800, the FireGL driver installer and a little magic thingie from a Russian fellow called "Unwinder" and KA-BLAM-OH (Just like the garage door spring) you've got yourself a FGL7100...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com skrev:

Reply to
Chebeba

(Resending this)

We have some FireGL cards and I like them - it's just the Radeons that I shy away from.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany