swx is SO SLOW

sure swx corp said they were concentrating on the program to make it faster. they said it. did it happen? no. does good ol' bob z. still have to WAIT for the dimension dialog box to show and then WAIT before he types in a dimension? yes, he does. if he doesn't wait, the decimal point, numbers, etc all just get lost in some sort of black hole. is anyone seeing this? it happens in swx2008 and swx2009.

no, it can't be. not in swx2009! that program is like FAST. just ask any swx salesman.

so why is this happening?

Reply to
bob zee

What are the computer specs? eg. OS, processor, ram, video card, video driver..

I had the same thing happen, tho I could type and the dims wouldn't be lost. I updated my video driver to the solidworks suggested driver and it drastically improved the speed of it.

Reply to
tnik

good ol' bob z. will start from the front and move to the back:

microsoft trackball explorer with latest driver logitech usb (wired) generic keyboard with none of the extras. it has a windows key. polk audio speakers samsung syncmaster 2032NW lcd monitors (2 of 'em) 20" (1680x1050) nvidia quadro FX3450 with latest nvidia driver (ok, maybe not _the_ latest, but not more than a month old) amd athlon 64 x2 4800+ socket 939 90nm 1.36 core voltage running at

2412.5Mhz asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard nforce4 chipset bios rev 1009 date 10/21/05 (ah-ha! maybe we need to flash the bios!) 3gb of pc3200 ddr ram 200mhz kingston windows xp sp3 32 bit big ol' hard drive sata 3 7200 rpm and yes it is defragged

the really bad thing about this - bob z. has been having this problem for more than a year. 3 different computers (some faster, some slower) during that time and it is a problem that began in swx2008 and SHOULD HAVE DISAPPEARED IN SWX2009. the computer specs have NOTHING to do with swx locking up the keyboard on a whim. POOR CODE.

Reply to
bob zee

Check your driver version, the version driver you should be running with a FX3450 on XP 32bit is 6.14.11.7551 or 6.14.11.6265

my setup is:

Pentium D 3.2 Ghz, 4GB RAM, FireGL5600, on xp pro 32bit..

Like I said before, I ran into the same problem, plus some strange graphic errors, and the video driver solved it.

I had a problem where I couldn't get my system to install the 'recommended driver' from solidworks, I tried one version before, and one version after and it wouldn't work right. finally I con'd my system somehow and it installed. been working beautifully since. I'm running

2k8 sp5 and 2k9 sp1EV with no problems.
Reply to
tnik

I found the same thing. The UI is jerky compared to 2008 which suggests that it got fatter. While it may be faster in those few demo test cases I have found the user interface to be slower. Folks, I watch my son play WOW on the network with a very complicated UI and he zips right along maneuvering multiple players, weapons, etc. all seemingly simultaneously. I use WOW as an example because like SW it is subject to revisions, models a 3D world and cetera, and cetera. And like SW there is processing going on in the background all the time because each user's screen doesn't just show the local user's actions but also the actions of numerous other users. And it is fast even over DSL. SW needs to get a video gamer mentality when doing the UI at least as far as speed goes.

I still haven't had a chance to do much benchmarking on the real problems which seem to center around very large parts and complex drawings of large assemblies. The SW demos didn't really address the kinds of drawings I typically do with details of sections of sections spread across several sheets.

Here is a simple rubrick for UI design. If the UI cannot take commands as fast as the user can enter them on a slow machine the software is too slow and needs work.

TOP TOP

Reply to
TOP

"If the UI cannot take commands as fast as the user can enter them on a slow machine the software is too slow and needs work. "

amen to that. SW has never been there that I can recall. funny how 3D users (myself included) beat up on AutoCAD but I used it for a few months on a job this past summer. It goes as fast as you do, never crashed, never hung up or dragged for a minute. It was actually fun.

Reply to
Devlin

I've seen AutoCad demons at work. They look like they are playing a Bach fugue on the keyboard, but when you look at what they are actually accomplishing it is far less than what SW would do in a similar situation plus if you do it 2D you have to think through your projections, something SW does for you.

The SW user interface used to be a lot more responsive in older versions running on slower hardware.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

I suspect all the user niceties they have added have bogged SW down with background tasks

Mind you going by the thoughtfully dumbed down help files it wouldn't surprise me to know they have deliberately throttled the UI so not very bright users don't feel disadvantaged this is pc on the pc which is as pc as it comes

...and it does actually give some pause to admire the Barbie fluff and reinforce those carefully nurtured marketing vibes that keep you optimistically re-signing for subs each year

Who knows if it gets slow, predictable and pretty enough it may even neutralise the unfettered doses of disappointment and despair, and random adrenhelin rush generated by the functional parts of the program.

Reply to
neil

Hi Bob Z,

I've noticed a considerable increase in loading time with 08. Once It's up, the performance is acceptable, and some bencmarks actually exceed 07. One thing I have noticed is that "selects" of geometry have a delay when working over the netrwork. We just reconfigured our server cluster when we moved it upstairs. Were running a single fiber optic backbone, and are suffering from bandwith problems. We'll have to run at least one more.

You have (what should be) a respectfully fast system. It would probably help alot if you could go through the XP tweaks (available in PDF, just google XP tweaks) and disable some of the unused fluff in services. I seem to remember you saying, at one time in the past, that you had an IT Nazi and were unable to do such things. Do you still work there ???

Other culprits are newer antivirus and spyware real time protection. Some of them can be configured to scan just about everything that passes through the processor. We use Norton corp. 10.xxx, and it can be set up to be very aggressive in this way, but we set it up to be minimally intrusive. We do all the scanning of incoming data on our mail server.

System monitoring applications, like those in Norton System works, can also gobble up CPU cycles.

HTH

Mark

Reply to
MM

On Nov 8, 3:07=A0pm, "MM" wrote:

nope, bob z. does not work there. bob z. has gone through 4 jobs since leaving there!

bob z. has run into the problem of swx losing digits since first using swx2008. the problem is still here in swx2009. bob z. is still in contact with a few people that use swx on a daily basis in other companies. the problem is only seen by one or two of them. if you double-click a dimension and then put your hand on the number pad on the right hand side of the keyboard and start typing, does every digit show up? swx will lose up to 3 or 4 digits. one person bob z. asked about this said swx loses the first digit on a very regular basis. he types .500 and 500 shows up on the screen. bob z. will type .375 and 5 will show up on the screen. IT IS NOT A COMPUTER SPEED ISSUE. it is not an anti-virus issue. bob z. supposes he could use the technique of a previous co-worker - use the one middle-finger from each hand and type numbers using the top row on the keyboard. bob z. might have trouble with that. bob z. could use the top row on the keyboard and use just his left hand. yeah, that is the ticket. hahahahahahhahahahhahahha Mark, please don't take this post as directed at you. bob z. just had to reply, but this post is not directly replying to you. this is just a general reply to all. bob z. has seen this digit loss issue on 4 different computers (3 different anti-virus products and one with no anti-virus). bob z. has to SLOW DOWN so that swx doesn't turn half an inch into five-hundred inches. simple number input. simple number input!

everyone else: if you use the top row on your keyboard for number input in solidworks, back away from the computer. we can no longer use your services in america.

Reply to
bob zee

Er, thanks. I use a Dell laptop... Anyway, I'm happy in the UK so :-p

bob zee wrote:

Reply to
Twit