Star Treks' Galileo

It's probably not a lot of fun to watch Star Trek around you, is it? ;-)

WmB

Reply to
WmB

You just go with the flow. And if that doesn't work, you reverse the polarity so as not to rupture the magnetic field. TNG did have way too many reverse tachyon fields in it though. At least someone finally explained how Romulan Warbirds can turn on a dime without thrusters of any sort. They trickle matter into a quantum Black Hole to generate power. Amazingly enough, that would make one ferociously powerful energy source, although as the black hole got heavier with time, it would need to be replaced. You can rotate the ship by spinning the black hole via a magnetic field and the ship will counter-rotate around it. The problem is that the black hole should be at the center of mass of the ship, and on a Warbird that's a empty space between the upper and lower hull. ....but IF.....they used a modification of their cloaking technology to transfer the energy generated by the black hole hanging in space between the upper and lower hull into a inertialess dual flux field created between the warp engines via a bubble of out-of-phase seven dimensional Dark Energy impinging on the main warp coils...that...and connected the

  • to the -, and the - to the +...IT COULD WORK! :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

In the words of that great western philosopher, Samuel Beckett...

... "oy"

I can honestly say that the Treknobabble of TNG is what turned me off from the show. If I heard "Level One Diagnostics" or "Tachyon Beam/Pulse" one more time I was going to scream a scream that would have made the Alien Queen in labor, proud.

One night I turned on TNG and it was the epsiode where Picard is stranded on the planet with the alien captain (buddy version of TOS "Arena") who communicated by metaphors. Played by Paul Winfield I think, with the whole "Tanagra, the walls fell" business. I'm thinking to myself what a great episode. A morality play like TOS Trek that spoke in universal terms unhindered by tachyon beams and all the pseudo artifiicial babble they troweled into the average episode.

And then next week - a double-heaping-helping of tachyon beams and level one diagnostics that would have made Jethro Bodine proud.

"oy".

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Thanks for your input. My patent will be issued next week. I owe you a cup of coffee!

Reply to
The Old Man

difference between a trekkie and trekker? trekkie will tell you you're holding a mk 4 phaser, a trekker will shoot you with it. ZAP!

Reply to
someone

i very large flywheel would also work. chek out early charlie clarke.

Reply to
someone

Talking about morality plays; how about Picard trying to chat it up with The Crystal Entity? Okay, so it's probably killed hundreds of millions of beings since it originally came into existence. So... we should see its side of things. It liked Lore, and we know he was a okay individual. Yah...right...full spread of photon torpedos on first sight.

And you weren't the only one who got sick of the technobabble; the wonderful story of the Krieger waves:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

was he a transporter tech?

Reply to
someone

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Make sure that's syntho-coffee, I can't tolerate caffeine.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Nah - the domes are just the tight end of the funnel. The rest is all electromagnetic. ANd as for how you convert the battery power from a few hand phasers into a fluid like hydrazine ... interesting challenge.

But that did give me new respect for the power of the batteries they have.

cd

Reply to
Carl Dershem

If this is for real, this is very odd:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Firing? Well, that "explosion" in front of it is the new "quasar-like phenomenon" they are going to study.

If you look at the back of the shuttle in this pic, you'll see no landing strut. They showed it being retracted in the redone launch sequence for this episode. (And only this episode; the strut has been down for previously enhanced episodes such as "Journey to Babel," "The Doomsday Machine," and "Immunity Syndrome.")

As to the sides curving over the top, I have no idea. It looks like some attempt to look like streamlining -- like the "wings" which are more useful as shelves; maybe they help handling in cross winds, maybe they're remnants of '50s tailfins.

Reply to
Jack Bohn