Does anyone know anything about these Escape Motors?

Does anyone know anything about these escape motors? What I need to know is about the encoder on the end of the motors.
http://tinypic.com/nvx4kand http://tinypic.com/nvx54 I have two of these as shown in the picture links above. Is this encoder a simple open collector RPM indicator, such that the white (+) wire goes to a pullup resistor to Vcc, and the blue wire goes to common or ground? You then pick off the white wire for the pulses to count. At first I was thinking it might be a quadrature encoder, with the black wire as common and the white and blue wires as the A and B open collector outputs, but that wouldn't make any sense as you could not reverse the motor in that configuration. But maybe the motor case would be ground in a quadrator encoder configuration. Thanks Earl
what is an escape motor - did you mean escap (as in portescap?) are there any markings on the motor? color looks like Maxon. perhaps it is a tacho like... http://www.maxonmotorusa.com/files/catalog/2004/pdf/04_246_e.pdf if so ohm meter should show some impedance between blue and white which would develop a voltage (dc if commutated or ac otherwise) proportional to the rpm.
Kevin

Your right it could be Portescap or a Maxon. For some unknown reason I always think "Escape". No markings at all, just the military green like color. "Tacho like" is an interesting possibility, I'll check it out.

Thanks Kevin, you hit it on the spot, it is a Maxon motor with a Tacho unit on the rear. It puts out about 0.5v per 1000 RPM of the motor. Thus if the motor is running at 4000 RPM then the tacho unit outputs about 2v. Thank you very much for the info. Earl

I won!, I won!... is there a prize? Enjoy your coreless Maxon motors - they are things of beauty.
Kevin

Great - enjoy your coreless Maxon motors - they are things of beauty..
Kevin

Earl Bollinger wrote:

It might be a Variable Reluctance sensor or maybe just a fixed coil with a permanent magnet rotating on the shaft. either way, I suspect that you will get one or a few pulses out of the winding per revolution on the motor. I have seen similar arrangements on larger motors. Try putting a scope across the encoder leads and spin the motor shaft between your fingers.
Good Luck, Bob
Although Kevin hit it right on the nose you were right too. It apparently is a variable reluctance type of thing. Thanks Earl