Caterpillar track designs

Hi guys,
I'd like to build a riding tank for my kids, similar to:
http://www.gizmology.net/tanks.htm
The plans for that tank involve wooden tracks that look like they could
break pretty easily, so I'm looking for some tougher alternatives that might last longer.
I found this site:
http://www.robotgroup.net/index.cgi/WideTrack
I wrote an email asking some construction questions to the author, but I thought I'd cast a wider net and ask if anyone else could point me towards some other tank track designs that won't break the bank but are strong.
Also, if anyone has experience with the PVC tracks in the second link or similar designs, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks!
Buy a replacement rubber track for a Toro Dingo or a Bobcat MT52. Those little walk-behind machines are in the right scale for this job.
http://www.bobcat.com/products/mtl/index.html
http://www.toro.com/professional/sws/loader/400/index.html
                John Nagle
Chairboy wrote:

Used Bobcat tracks are available on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item854552312
John Nagle wrote:

Thanks! I'll check those out right away, also still interested in hearing about any other home build treads too.
Thanks!

What about Macrame?
http://www.catenema.com/macrame.html ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ashley Clarke -------------------------------------------------------
Mr Clarke wrote:

Needless to say, making small animals out of rope and then setting them on fire is always a bad idea when building tank tracks.

Oops, wrong link (for those that can`t get the jist of a topic)!
So, Rope (or Steel Cable...) may be the cheapest and simplest thing to use between slats of Wood or Steel for the purpose of Tank Tracks? Macrame is of course the technique, not the fashion.
----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ashley Clarke -------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure building something for your kids is a part of your good parentship. Building together with kids is even better. But do you really think that building a "tank" for a kid is a good idea, especially in current violent period of the world politics ? I'm sure you can find many other mini-engineering projects to work together with your kids to teach them not only basic engineering skills but also using this skills for peace not for war.
I would prefer to search internet for "How to teach peace to children?" instead of "How to teach children to build their own tank?"
Regards.

idea,
Definately! In fact, I'd say that the current violence makes it imperative to get our kids trained up in the skills and technologies needed to keep them safe!
Don't worry, we're not planning on mounting the shotgun cannon until they're at least 5.

Till then they can play M.A.S.H. when the lttle fingers go around between the sprocket and the track.
Si Ballenger wrote:

Isn't the idea to be *inside* the tank, not under it? Do you have similar reservations about bicycles?
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 09:04:16 GMT, "Chris S."

A playmate might be involved. What the *idea* is and what actually goes on may be totally different. Why do grown adults end up cutting their fingers off with saws? I guess kids never get hurt on bicycles either. Good adult supervision is a key to staying out of trouble.
Si Ballenger wrote:

Time to add a remoten control kill-switch to the design! :-)

Different disciplines for different regions. The Tank is of course not completely safe for young children to play with unsupervised and most toys available that use Tracks or other entrapments commercially have some sort of fail-safe contraption. As a commercially available toy it would not meet the laws restriction to be sold here in the UK for sure. Most children have more sense than we credit them with anyway and this father would not build his son a dangerous toy to play with. As for morals, the kids these days are already swamped with high-tech killing machines of mass destruction through the media and in some parts of the world are taught to handle a Machine gun from birth!
----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ashley Clarke -------------------------------------------------------

parentship.
Are you trying to say that we here in America have not killed enough brown people yet? That we feel the need to pass the legacy on to our children and in order to achieve a maximum efficiency, we need to start off teaching hate and good tank skills early? Maybe some people just think that caterpillar tracks are kinda cool. Many of us grew up with GI Joe and Tanks and little green army men and the threat of nuclear destruction and yet some of us believe that peace is a good thing. Do you honestly believe that building a little tank project with junior will create a death loving monster? Are YOU so easily influenced? Indeed, I tend to believe that a father-son project is more likely to generate a strong family ethic than a soul-less mind-less hate-monger killing machine. Are you one of those people who want to censor (or burn) various materials in case someone might be influenced? If I read Uncle Toms Cabin, I might think black people a dumb and should be my salve. If I read the Bible, I might get the idea that I need to go out and kill everyone who does not believe like me (Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!) Beware the thought police!
I'm going to work on teaching my children to build "Peace Maker" missiles.
Death Monger
Ok, to sum up what I've learned:
1. Check out bobcat/dingo treads on eBay. 2. I may or may not be turning my two little boys (2.5 years and 9 months respectively) into faceless killing automatons who deal death emotionlessly from within their electric powered metaphor for America's ruthless oppression of the 3rd world. 3. Macrame (the technique, used with steel cable to lash wood slats together and not the act of building owls to set afire) could be a relatively easy way to build caterpillar tracks.
Thanks! A visit to comp.robotics.misc is always educational, whether lurking or posting.
Regards,
Chairboy

Well, faceless killing automatons who deal death emotionlessly, but know how to macrame, can't be all bad!
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:23:23 -0500, "Dave VanHorn"

I think that all soldiers should be taught arts and crafts. It would help to relieve stress in between shooting mothers driving old cars full of bombs.
Sig: I have a brain the size of a planet. It's not much good to me, however. It's on a different planet.
http://www.ardice.com/Games/Video_Games/Action/Space_Combat/3rd_World
I think you summed it up pretty well. Check back soon though. There are a few trolls that haven't chimed in on this one, and they may have more useful information.