Catenary advice

Hello all.

I'm considering taking the plunge and making the switch from "imaginary catenary" to a representation of the system in use on the WCML (circa 1980).

Can anyone recommend a range of masts and associated gubbins which isn't going to break the bank? To do this properly, I'd need a mix of single masts and masts spanning 2 or three tracks.

The On-Tracks website suggests that some people omit the wires (presumably in preference to having contact wires which are grossly over scale). Has anyone come across a layout like this?

The alternative (which I am seriously considering) is to make my electric locos non-powered and have them dragged.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

By Thunderbirds?

Reply to
MartinS

"Adrian" wrote

Try Googling 'sommerfeldt catenary'. That's about the only viable option for decent overhead systems.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well, my layout is set around 1980, so we are talking BR blue 87s and

86s pulled by 47s. However, my son has some Virgin stock and a grey 90 (still looking for a Virgin 87), so a Bachmann 57/3 might be on the cards when his modern stuff is running.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Will do. Is the Veissmann stuff just to far away from the UK prototype?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

"Adrian" wrote

Don't know Adrian, I've no experience of that.

There is another option and that is to scratch-build your catenary, which may not be quite so daunting as you imagine.

Go out and take some photographs of the overhead near where you live, and then contemplate how easy it would be to frabricate, using pre-formed brass section and wire.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Nothing like prototypical operation. ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

I did wonder whether that might be the best option for the knitting which has to span 2 or 3 tracks.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

There is actually a review of it in Model Rail, well sort of anyway.

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

I did a little of that, just to see. I used a piece of pine board, and drew the outline of the catenary span between supports. I pushed in two pins at each end, one for the catenary support wire, and one for the contact wire, then a few pins along the curve of the catenary. A wire wound round the end pins and drawn up snugly against those intermediate pins will have a reasonable shape. Stretch the contact wire between its end pins, and solder on the hangers. Then unwind the wire, and you'll have a section of catenary that can be suspended between supports. You could of course make double or triple spans. Cross spans can be made with a similar jig. If the cross span is a girder, that can be soldered up out of small brass shapes. When hanging the catenary, keep in mind that the wire zigzags along the track.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf

There have been a few articles in the ScaleFour society magazine about a layout of Birmingham New Street, and constructing the catenary sections for that. If bothered about "doing it really properly", then finding those and contacting the author might be useful.

Others have mentioned volume commercial systems (Sommerfeld, etc), whilst they work well, they suffer from being modelled on non-UK installations, and can be quite expensive.

I think Nick Tilson of N Brass Locos has started production of UK catenary components for 4mm scale. He'll probably provide details of exactly what bits he does, and the prototypes used for the parts, if you asked. I think he has more pictures in the N catenary section than the 4mm, though I'd expect they are made from the same research and etch drawings.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Dunno, was stuck in an 86, 87 or 90 for about 6 hours south of Milton Keynes one saturday night when overhead lines down. Had to wait for a dirty diesel from Coventry (or Wolverhampton)to pull us to Rugby. Couldnt see what diesel it was - 1am when we got to Rugby - so was really bothered. Holyhead HST was right behind. Down line was out for ballast/track maintenence - track workers were lending their (huge) mobile phones. At least 10 years ago - so pre-thunderbirds, cant remember if it was pre-Virgin livery though.

So theres a prototype situation to model !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

try

for a good place to compare. shane

Reply to
scoot

"> The On-Tracks website suggests that some people omit the wires

If you want a non-working system you could try fishing line for the wires, chose the breaking strain to get the diameter that suits your eye.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

To make it nice and neat, and to get the cross-section of the wire as small as possible, put one end of the wire in a vice and pull on the other end with pliers - there will come a point at which you can feel the wire "give". It will then be nice and straight, much easier to work with and look fantastic. I should say that the above is for copper wire, anything will do, bell wire, twin-and-earth etc.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It all boils down to whether I base the layout (loosely) on Preston or Bolton. In the early 80s Sunday WCML engineering certainly saw electrics dragged via Chorley (reversed at Lostock Jn???). To be honest, I'm not being that specific, so my "somewhere in the North West" scenareo can legitimately have dragged electrics in blue.

Adrian

Reply to
AdrianB

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I'll go and buy some brass section and have a play.

It's time I brushed up my soldering skills anyway.

Adrian

Reply to
AdrianB

Was Bolton ever electrified? I remember in the 60's having to catch a DMU from Manchester (Victoria) to Bolton (Trinity Street). I'm told the "station" there today is a glorified bus shelter.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

I don't think so, which is why Adrian was contemplating whether he could 'drag' electrics though there.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I don't mean to nitpick but would an electric train be dragged through a line that wasn't electrified in the first place except in a dire emergency?

(kim)

Reply to
kim