catenary

is there a model for a rope, chain or cable ?

like a guy wire on an antenna

thanks

Reply to
Richard Friedrich

If I remember correctly from my freshman calculas class nearly 20 years ago a catenary is a function of the hyperbolic cosine. Should be easy enough to plot out. y=a*cosh(x/a) where a is a constant.

I would assume if you have an actual physical application in use that you can compare you mathematical model in SWX to experimentaly determine "a" for your rope, chain or cable.

Reply to
JDMATHER

I believe it is more complicated than that. I want to model a sag of a wire from a high point to a low connection point. The initial tension, length of wire, distance between connections, elevation difference of the connections and weight/unit length of the wire become important.

thanks

Richard

Reply to
dakota

and you'll probably find something.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

.... or, Google

catenary "power transmission" OR "cable"

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Hi, I'm just reading a book I got called "Towing Icebergs, Falling dominoes, and other adventures in applied mathematics" by Robert B Banks. (doesn't take much to keep me happy) It includes some of the math on the Gateway Arch in Saint Louis which is an "inverted catenary" designed by Eero Saarinen. I think you can use the math before he flipped it over.

Anyway I can scan and email the few relevant pages if you wish: bob at rbhope dot ca cheers, Bob - Toronto

connections

Reply to
Bob