Online Sources For Gargraves Track

Check page 15 here(call to order number on every page):

& for your other issue/problem:

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Has anyone found a good online source for GarGraves complete line of track and accessories? I tried the dealer locator and all the dealers near me (and some that would be a four hour drive) stock nothing more than the 37" bendable sections. No curved sections at all.

Searching online I have run into a lot of inventory lists from hobby shops in other states, but no way to buy the stuff.

I just want to start out replacing the standard FasTrack layout. A Gargraves Phantom line, stainless, wood tie, 42" circle, a dozen 6.2" straights, and some stainless power lock-ons. Or maybe the 12.4" straights. I'm running on carpet anyway, so I'll either have to take the track apart when not in use, or hang it on the wall.

I'd prefer the Gargraves terminal/accessory section, but that's 6.5" long. What's up with that? Why did they make it .3" longer than the 6.2" straight? If you use only one, you end up with a .2" gap on the other side. But then I can't figure out if the terminal or uncoupling sections have the wood ties anyway. Their other specialty sections are odd sizes also. That forces you to cut some track if you want them to fit.

I need to get this. I now have more rolling stock than track and my wife thinks I'm nuts. I've tried telling her than a beautiful tank car is, to a man, like a pretty purse is to a woman - you just have to buy it. She doesn't get the comparison.

Yet two days ago, I kid you not, she walks in with yet another new purse. A day later UPS shows up with an MTH 3 dome Chessie tank car and a Lionel Chessie starter tank car, which together cost less than her purse, and she's asking me what I need them for.

Apparently she doesn't understand the difference between needing and coveting.

I have no idea what to say to her when my Lionel Chessie SD-40-2 loco shows up. "It useful, honey. You can put all sorts of makeup, tissues (used and new), pieces of candy without their wrappers, and five year old grocery lists in the box cars, and this engine will pull them around in a circle..."

If that doesn't work, I'll just stay up all night blowing the diesel horn while she's trying to sleep.

BTW, no offense intended towards any female train enthusiasts out there. I know you understand both purses and trains.

Reply to
Spender

Same deal. No Phantom line sectional track with stainless outside rails. That surprises me. The local LHS's are selling standard Lionel tinplate track for the same prices as Gargrave's track. I don't get why they don't stock the premium stuff.

Not an hour ago, the mailman showed up with a Lionel Pacific Fruit Express Hotbox Refer... I can just see the look on my wife's face when she sees it. "Look hon, do you have a purse that makes noise, talks, smokes, and has blinking lights? Hah, didn't think so!"

My situation is just a running joke though. I feel sorry for those guys on that message board whose wives really seem evil. After 16 years (only five married) my wife is still my girlfriend. We get along great and never fight about anything, let alone something as insignificant as money. She doesn't get the point of all the trains, but she agrees that they are beautiful.

My love of Chessie items makes it easier. I was out of town once when a package came. I had her open it while we were on the phone and she screeched "It has a kitty on it! That's so cute!"

Reply to
Spender

I believe you can find the complete line of Gargraves at Hobby Surplus Sales (div. of Amato Hobbies):

This is a reputable hobby supplier. You might prefer to phone your order. They have knowledgeable people. I've never had any unpleasant experience with them.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Books, Toys, and Trains:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

Thanks for the lead! They had good descriptions of everything I was asking for. I just placed the order.

A 42" circle and 12 12.4" straights. 29.39' of track on the living room carpet. It's a shame I'll have to break it down when not in use. I need to get a house.

Reply to
Spender

Pleased that I could assist. I hope you enjoy your Gargraves track.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Books, Toys, and Trains:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

I missed the "stainless" part.

I usually just go to the GarGraves factory when travelling for work if I need something specific.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

You could a sheet pf plywood to mount the track on, and set it on its side when you've done playing with, er, sorry, I mean _operating_ the trains.

Have fun!

PS: I like the noise those big trains make. Especially on hardwood floors, and sheets of plywood.

Reply to
Wolf

Ummmm, that would be the Gargaves website, wouldn't it?

RRGrandad

I've considered hinging a sheet of plywood to the baseboard so I could just fold it up when not in operation, er, in play. And I do just play. I'm planning a permanent layout with plenty of switches and the ability to run several trains at once. I'll have some cars stopping and dumping logs, coal, or what have you. But it's mostly play for me. I just like watching them run.

Creating point-to-point switching puzzles is a little dry for my taste. But I do appreciate the creations of the uber-modelers. Not just the trains, but their creativity and skill with the fine details of scenery.

The grandest thing I have imagined is - when I have a house - creating a helix on the basement layout that will take the Polar Express up to the ceiling, through the floor, and out through a tunnel under the Christmas tree, where is would run in a circle until I sent it back down.

That would be awesome. But bare. I can make the metal frame helix easily enough, based on ideas I've seen on the web, but modeling it to look like a mountain is something I'd have no idea how to do properly.

I like the noise also. My wife has found me sound asleep on the floor more than once with the train running. I guess it's white noise to my brain. It sure isn't to hers... which is why she gets out of bed to wake me up.

Last night she came out - into a living room full of smoke - and said that, with only eight wheels that Pacific Fruit Express refer car sure has a lot of bearing problems - maybe it needs to be junked.

Reply to
Spender

I've been there many times. But I haven't seen any way to purchase the track directly from Gargrave's site. Their dealer locator lists only LHS's, not online shops, and all the LHS's in my area (even hours away from my area) stock either nothing at all, or only the 37" bendable sections.

As I mentioned in another post, it surprises me because the local LHS's sell the standard Lionel tinplate track (often pre-rusted and dusty) for the same price as the Gargraves stainless wood-tie track. I don't understand why they don't stock the Gargraves products. I think most people who saw them side by side would opt for the Gargraves product in a heartbeat.

But the certified Lionel dealers in my area all look like rummage sales. The owners are more enthusiastic about running trains (or scale slot cars) than running a store. The cleaner Hobby shops, even if Lionel dealers, carry very few Lionel products. Mostly some rolling stock, two or three O27 engines, and a handful of the starter sets.

Apparently full service train shops are not economically viable in Wisconsin.

Reply to
Spender

Reply to
curtmchere

These guys likely can get any GarGraves product made due to their proximity to the factory:

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Source please?

The factory was still churning out track last month when I was out there on business. Sure, they got some snow this week due to their proximity to Oswego, but they keep working even when it's snowing.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Pull your head out of your well used ass.

Reply to
brad

Reply to
curtmchere

Curt your lifestyle is really not anyone's business, however your deviant sexual activities simply cannot be overlooked. Using the bible to hide your sick desires is disgraceful.

Please find some help, get things stitched up, dont go back to your pastor's home this weekend.

Warmest regards- Brad

PS- thanks for just using your Curt account- your silly games with trainspeeddemon got pretty old.

Reply to
brad

1: GarGraves is alive and well. (Though I think they need to revamp their dealer strategy, or offer direct sales.) 2: GarGraves track is the gold standard. It's what museums use when they set up elaborate, permanent layouts. If you think MTH RealTrax or ScaleTrax can compare, you must be smoking crack. 3: The cost difference is insignificant. Money isn't an issue in my life. I guess God has blessed me much more than you. Maybe you need to rethink your prayer strategy. Either that, or work towards managing the Taco Bell instead of just working at the counter.
Reply to
Spender

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Someone else posted that site and I didn't even notice the sign. Is Gardner the "Gar" in GarGraves? But the site is still kind of sparse. It seems you have to call them to order most things. I like online ordering since there is less room for error.

He's got the Lionmaster SP AC-12 Cab Forward listed under the Lionel section. I fixated on that in the Lionel catalog. That is a cool looking engine. Minimum 072 curve, so it's too big for my current capabilities.

Reply to
Spender