Online Sources For Gargraves Track

Spender wrote:

http://www.gardnerthetraindoctor.com /
Rob

Someone else posted that site and I didn't even notice the sign. Is Gardner the "Gar" in GarGraves? But the site is still kind of sparse. It seems you have to call them to order most things. I like online ordering since there is less room for error.
He's got the Lionmaster SP AC-12 Cab Forward listed under the Lionel section. I fixated on that in the Lionel catalog. That is a cool looking engine. Minimum 072 curve, so it's too big for my current capabilities.
Spender wrote:

Yes. From the GarGraves Website:
"GarGraves has been around since 1940. It started as an idea of ELDON S. GRAVES who joined with EARLE A. GARDNER to manufacture and market this new flexible track. Our name comes from a combination of their names. Don Roder, who originally worked for the company, purchased it in 1963, and now he and his family operate it."
Don's son Mike now runs "Gardner, The Train Doctor".

When you're talking to the "factory store" they pretty much know their stuff...
Rob

Spender spake thus:
[...]

This got my attention: I *loves* cab forwards.
But I made the mistake of going to Lionel's web site and trying to find it. Gawd, their site *sucks*! Took 5 or 6 drill-downs just to get to "locomotives", of which there are 42 pages worth. Their search function is totally broken. And on dialup, the pages take forever to load, since everything is rendered as graphics.
Anyone have a link to a site showing a picture of this beast?
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a

Nevermind; they apparently have 2 AC-12s: http://lionel.com/Products/ProductNavigator/getproduct.cfm?ProductNumber=6-11107 http://lionel.com/Products/ProductNavigator/getproduct.cfm?ProductNumber=6-38071
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to drool over some pictures ...
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 19:33:42 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Pages 59 in their online 2006 Volume 1 catalog. It would be nice if Lionel offered .pdf catalogs.
I just looked again at my hard copy catalog and the AC-12 loco works on curves as tight as O31. That's surprising for a 4-8-8-2 loco.
I can't decide what my first premium train purchase will be. Something for a passenger line. I love the Blue Comet, but Lionel only made 1000 sets back in 2001. There is one on eBay, new in the box, at a bid of $885 yet the reserve price hasn't been met.
Lionel currently has the PS4 Southern Pacific (the Green Bullet) which looks nice also. I can't decide what passenger cars would look best with it though. The matched Southern Pac. heavyweight passenger cars seem kind of drab. I'm not bent on the realism of matching road names so I can always choose something else.
I'd really like a big Chessie steam loco with the blue, orange, and yellow livery like the T-1 4-8-4, Lionel #6-18011. I like Chessie stuff. I line of yellow Madison cars would like nice with that.
Spender spake thus:

Heh; I see now where you came up with your handle. "Spender", indeed.
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:43:55 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Actually it's the name of the protagonist in And the Moon Be Still As Bright, by Ray Bradbury. Part of The Martian Chronicles.
It might still apply. I might snap and end up living in Lionelville. ;)