Okay, Let's Talk Trains.

Here is my completely nonsensical collection of trains. All purchased since The Polar Express Set I got for under the Christmas tree. I think I may have to take a break from eBay... after the current crop arrives that is. I have more trains than track.

K-Line K2629-07 AEC Motorized Railroad Van K-Line K623-8017 United States Steel Die Cast Hopper w/Coal Load Lionel 6-14002 ZW Amp/Volt Meter Lionel 6-14065 463 Nuclear Reactor Lionel 6-16149 ZEP Single Dome Tank Car Lionel 6-16153 6315-1 AEC Reactor Fluid Tank Car (Blue) Lionel 6-16154 6315-2 AEC Reactor Fluid Tank Car (Purple) Lionel 6-16155 6315-3 AEC Reactor Fluid Tank Car (Green) Lionel 6-16160 6315-4 AEC Reactor Fluid Tank Car (Black) Lionel 6-16368 "KATY" Liquified Oxygen Car Lionel 6-17648 Chessie I-12 Caboose #C-2800 Lionel 6-17909 Hooker Chemicals Standard O Tank Car Lionel 6-18475 Lionel Toy Story Handcar Lionel 6-19626 Diamond Chemicals Tank Car Lionel 6-19628 Lion Oil Tank Car Lionel 6-19869 Alien Transport Aquarium Car Lionel 6-24119 Big Bay Lighthouse Lionel 6-25134 The Polar Express Diner Car Lionel 6-25135 The Polar Express Baggage Car Lionel 6-25186 The Polar Express Hot Chocolate Car Lionel 6-26137 Jack Frost Sugar Single Dome Tank Car Lionel 6-26144 Chessie Starter Tank Car Lionel 6-26179 Great Northern 3-Dome Tank Car Lionel 6-26194 Hooker Electrochemical Company Single Dome Tanker Lionel 6-26215 Glow-In-The-Dark AEC Box Car Lionel 6-26230 Glow-In-The-Dark II AEC Box Car Lionel 6-26244 Woody Woodpecker Box Car Lionel 6-26307 Chessie Flatcar w/Bulkheads Lionel 6-26835 MOW Track Cleaner Lionel 6-26857 Alien Radar Tracking Car Lionel 6-26867 Alien Sounds Box Car Lionel 6-26872 U.S. Army Security Car Lionel 6-27214 Chessie System PS-1 Box Car Lionel 6-28245 Chessie SD-40-2 #7617 Diesel Engine Lionel 6-28425 The Polar Express Elf Handcar Lionel 6-28679 Army Transportation Corp 0-4-0 Loco & Tender Lionel 6-29603 Comet Single Dome Tank Car Lionel 6-29609 Alien Suspension Car Lionel 6-29610 Dixie Honey Single Dome Tank Car Lionel 6-29613 #6463 Rocket Fuel Tank Car Lionel 6-29829 6805 Radioactive Waste Car Lionel 6-29830 Pacific Fruit Express Hot Box Reefer Lionel 6-29925 The Polar Express 2005 Toy Fair Box Car (in 6-52246 box) Lionel 6-31960 The Polar Express Set Lionel 6-32930 ZW "Multi-Watt" Transformer Lionel 6-32961 UFO Cafe Lionel 6-39437 Supplee Flatcar w/Milk Container Lionel 6-9600 Chessie Hi-Cube Box Car MTH 20-91201 Chessie #3246 Extended Vision Caboose MTH 30-73203 Chessie 3-Dome Tank Car

Reply to
Spender

Actually, that's not too unusual, especially for Lionel and other "toy trains" that are really collectors items. That's why people buy/build display cases.

I've been thinking about putting a display case under the railraod, running a helix down under the layout, and thereby allowing the display case to feed trains onto the railroad.

Would probably want to throw in a reversing loop somewhere so that trains would not have to be backed up the helix or turned by hand on the display case after coming back down the helix. Or maybe put in two helix, one on both sides of the display case?

Reply to
gl4316

I'm sure that all the reasonable people here wish you pleasure with your collection. Please permit me to offer a suggestion. I know e-bay considers any model railroad item as a "train". I tend to use that term for a series of cars pulled by a powered unit(s). While there is no "one true path" for cataloging one's holdings, separating your list into locomotives, cars, accessories, etc. should make it easier to organize and transmit information.

Also, don't worry about having more items than track. Most of us who have been in the hobby for any length of time can put only a fraction of our equipment on the layout at any given time. That's why interchange tracks and staging yards were invented. Thank you.

Jerry

Reply to
trainjer

Helixes (helices?) take up a major amount of room. A while ago I saw an article about a vertical transfer table: the rack of track moved up and down on a screw powered by a motor, and lined up with the track that gave it access to the layout. Took up very little space.

Reply to
Wolf

Time to sell them on ebay.

Reply to
SteveCaple

That was just my initial text list. I'm going to create an Access database with categories for rolling stock, loco, accessory, etc.

Reply to
Spender

I think I saw Lionel accessory track that did a horizontal version of that idea - switching out one car or loco for another.

Reply to
Spender

You've been busy. Win the lottery or something? :-{)

Reply to
Rick Jones

Yeah, that's a transfer table. Real rr's had them too, usually located outside shops so cars/locos could be moved to/from the relevant shop tracks.

Reply to
Wolf

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

[doesn't matter]

Peek-a-boo, Curt, we see you.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I wish. Too much discretionary funds though. I've given up other things, like ever more computer equipment that I didn't need anyway.

Well, the baby has a college education fund already, so I wanted to create a Lionel education fund. He isn't getting it until he's big enough to beat me up though.

Reply to
Spender

Under normal circumstances, a helix would take up a lot of room, but the area under the railroad is pretty much wasted anyway. It depends a lot on the existing railroad though.

Suppose you have this:

=============Main line=========\ \ \ \ >

/ / / =========/

Underneath it, you have room for this:

==========Display Case=========\ / \ / \ / \ < >

\ / \ / \ / \==/ A vertical transfer table means trying to put in something in that is as long as the trains on the display case track. This limits what can be put on the display case track. The helix doesn't take up as much space in that regard. In fact, with curved switches you could probably incorporate the display tracks into the helix fairly well, giving far more display area.

You'd want something that has reasonable access from all sides though, so that if something derails you can get to it.

Reply to
gl4316

Reply to
curtmchere

I would hope you see him- since he has been using the same ISP, IP address, browser and usenet service as you the past few days. You guys obviously are living together!

Reply to
brad

Brad is my sockpuppet. You are trolling using a fake sockpuppet name. How hard is it to do that dude? Anybody can sign up for free accounts. You seem to know alot about it and why is that...........

Think up your own sockpuppet name.

_________

Steve the real

Reply to
SteveCaple

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" spake thus:

Yeah, right, Curt:

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com": X-HTTP-UserAgent = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; AOL 9.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR

1.1.4322),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

snipped-for-privacy@aim.com: X-HTTP-UserAgent = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE

6.0; AOL 9.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

brad ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com): no X-HTTP-UserAgent header.

We can all figure out who is who here, Curt.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

STVE CAPLE you are using free accounts to sockpuppet yourself. Why don't you stop and quit trolling this train board and leave us in peace??

Reply to
curtmchere