hardening polymer sprays and silicone adhesives (2 questions)

Hello,

I'm doing some research for a school project and i have three questions that i was wondering if anyone could answer about polymers and adhesives.

  1. Are there other heat resistant adhesives like silicone that are less costly? From what I understand silicone is toxic until cured, either with heat or chemicals, but once cured it is resistant to heat, nontoxic, and has good "clean-peelability" properties. Rubber and acrylic adhesives also have these qualities but are not heat resistant up to temperature I'm looking for around 500 degrees. So again my question is are there alternatives to silicone adhesives that are cheaper with the same qualities.

  1. Is there are polymer which can be sprayed from a areole can which will harden on contact, however can be peeled up much like a thin layer of harden Elmer's glue? I'd also like it to have similar properties as listen above but also be durable enough as to not scratch off with your fingers.

I know these are specific questions but any help or advice would be wonderful. Thanks for your time.

Matthew

Reply to
matthew

What really bugs me is that silicon is the most common element in the earths crust, yet the price of these materials is always so much greater than the extremely rare, petroleum-based chemicals. I think you'll have to stick with silicone (sorry about the pun).

If you can peel off a layer of Elmer's glue, it is because it had poor adhesion to the substrate. If your adhesive, or any adhesive for that matter, has poor adhesion to the substrate, it will be peelable. Easy ways to provide poor adhesion are thin layers of dirt or oil. Some substrates (Teflon, polypropylene, ...) are inherently difficult to stick to as well.

Specific questions are easier to answer than the vague ones. "What polymer is better than metal?"

John

Reply to
John Spevacek