How to ship an Atlas bed?

Hey guys There's a guy in Philly that wants my 42" Atlas bed. Is UPS the best way to ship it? Any idea what the bare bed weighs?

Reply to
Rex B

Try Fed Ex ground. They are really resonable, and a lot more careful that the gorillas at UPS. Don't think they could break an Atlas bed? I wouldn't put it past them.

It really couldn't be more than 100 Lbs.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Now if I suddenly end up with an Atlas bed in my driveway, I will know who it is from... cool...

Ignoramus3242

Heeeeeyyyyy...there's an idea...we all send Iggy random stuff without return address labels, and see if he can identify what came from whom...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

FexEx Ground if it is under their weight and size restrictions, FedEx Freight if it is not. Even though the weight may not be an issue, size may be. Many shippers have length+girth restrictions. Have you thought about how you are going to pack it? I would build a wood "crate" with 1x2's around it, screwing the wood to other pieces to secure the bed inside a cushion. This way if it falls, the wood will crush and not the metal cracking or breaking.

Reply to
woodworker88

I'll volunteer to be that test subject (or joke victim)! Perhaps Ron Moore would like to start off with his South Bend 7" shaper... :)

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

UPS might hire gorillas, but FedEx hires monkeys. Very stupid monkeys.

I'm not a high volume shipper, yet of the relatively few packages I've sent or received through FedEx Ground, I've had a very high percentage of problems. FedEx has lost packages, billed me for services not used, screwed up my loss claims, were unable to re-route a package that kept going to the wrong address (and then kept being kicked back to their depot -- they knew where it was but couldn't "pull it out" of it's endless cycle of mis-delivery), and their Web site services suck. Furthermore, the only way you can have someone ship a package to you on your own FedEx account is if you let FedEx do a "will call" pick-up (with the exorbitant extra fees for that service which defeats the whole purpose of the effort).

Yes, I've saved some shipping costs using my FedEx Ground account. But I've lost those savings many times over due to the numerous problems I've had with FedEx. My biggest gripe with UPS is that they charge extra service counter fees for retail customers. And sometimes those counter fees don't match the prices quoted on their Web site or in software that uses UPS's shipping rate API (like Ebay's shipping calculator).

As for UPS breakage, in my experience, that can always be traced to poor packaging by the shipper. Yes, heavy items require extra padding and sturdy boxes or crates (imagine that!). Of course, that's true with any shipper.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

It weighs more than 100#. I've moved mine several times. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Sort of a variation on the "What Is It?" threads?

OK Iggy, post your address.

Reply to
Rex B

OK, I weighed and measured this last night.

it's 5.75" X 5.75" X 36 inches long It weighs right at 50 pounds.

So even with a lead screw and 6 change gears I should be under the

70-lbs UPS limit.

The length was a bit of a surprise, BTW. This lathe had a model number ending in -42, so I figured the bed was 42". but it's just 36". I always thought there were just two lengths, 42, and 54. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

- - Rex Burkheimer Fort Worth TX

Rex B wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

no big deal to ship, but wrap it in a lot of carton and bubblewrap.

Ignoramus21002

My wife would sure be happy if I did some of that!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I have had a rotary table and a logic analyzer smashed by UPS. I have never had anything even get the corner of the box mashed a little by Fed Ex.

I have sent a number of packages Fed Ex, billing to the recipient's Fed Ex number. I take it to the local Kinko's copy place - they are owned by Fed Ex. There may not be one convenient to your location, though.

The insurance at the old "Mailboxes-R-Us" UPS store is really exorbitant, like $1 per $100 declared value. When I ship a $10,000 - $25,000 shipment, this wipes me out! Fed Ex is less than 1/4 that rate! Why should I have to pay for UPS' carelessness?

Yes, sure, I have to have 4-6" of high-density foam custom molded to the shape of the equipment, with extra cardboard corners inside the box, to keep UPS from smashing stuff. 2" of bubble wrap seems to be enough to protect a package with Fed Ex. Obviously, your experience seems to be the exact opposite.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Just the bed, no headstock, tailstock, carriage, etc. on the 10" lathe we're talking about here. The late 12" bed with the thicker ways is going to weigh a little more. I know I've picked up the bed of my old 10" lathe all by myself, and 100 Lbs to me is a pretty heavy load.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Is it for a 10" Atlas lathe? I've never seen beds of other length, but I have heard reports of shorter beds made for special purposes. 36" is pretty short, you'd only get 18" between centers with that. Couldn't be a bed for a 6" lathe, could it?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I just sent a $4K through one of the converted stores UPS - paid $46 insurance. That means (like warranty) they have poor grade of delivery. I suspect it is partly a payoff of the local office take.

Oh - they took the controller - I didn't pack it - I wanted them to quality (and insure) the package... Their packing doubled the weight and I paid for shipping 2x weight and likely 2x insurance.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Actually, this turned out to be a bit of an oddity. Model number is H36 Bed length is exactly 36 inches. Weight without feet is 50 lbs.

I thought all Atlas machines were either 42" bed or 54"

Reply to
Rex B

No, I know the difference. This says Atlas H36, and it's all 10" stuff. Spindle is 1.4x8 tpi. I've had a 10F TH54. This is the same lathe, with babbit bearings and a short bed.

Reply to
Rex B

I have a V48. 48" bed with 30" between centers, babbited bearing headstock, single large pulley on the countershaft,not the curved spokes, 8 speed instead of 16.

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady