Design/CAD Software

I am getting serious about completing my L3 project and would like to do some detailed technical drawings laying out, primarily, the recovery system setup and various options for same.

I have ROCSIM but am looking for something that will permit me to do some more detailed drawings - some sort of CAD software.

Any suggestions based on experience would be most appreciated. I would like to avoid a steep learning curve and I would like to avoid a huge hit on the pocketbook if I can. I am not adverse to spending a few bucks.

Thanks in advance.

The project BTW is a 11.5" diameter semi-scale V2... actually a BLOSSOM V2, as the body tube is elongated to move the CG forward and permit more room for larger motors, like the HyperTek hybrids and perhaps an AT N2000 once I have certified.

Murray Lampert TRA 08855 L2 NAR 79489 L2 CAR S589 L3

LDRS 23 - Geneseo NY - July 1 - 6, 2004

Reply to
M D Lampert

There are two programs I would reecommend if you are looking for a pure CAD solution.

If you want the minimal learning curve, try DesignCad - this is a really solid entry level 3D cad package. Nicely priced at under $100.

If you think you may want to be a bit more exrended, try AutoCadLT - Runs around $495, the advantage here is that it would prepare you, if interested to step into the big guns like AutoCad itself.

If all you want this for is your L3 project, stick with DesignCad -> it will more than meet your drawing needs.

Al

Reply to
Al Gloer

I use DeltaCad. I'm not a CAD expert by any stretch of the imagination, so something else may be better. At 40 bucks, DeltaCad is hard to beat. It works for me.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Which of these "cheap CAD's" also serve as Autocad viewers and printing utilities?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

see best prices at

DesignCAD Express $ 36 DesignCAD 3D MAX $ 66 DesignCAD 3D MAX Plus $213

the manufacturers website with roduct descriptions is at

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

AutoCad, Coreldraw, Adobe Illustrator. I use all three in combination with Rocksim. The AutoCad and Corel files come in extra handy for exporting fin and centering ring .dxf's to a CNC milling setup. The Adobe Illustratator is used mostly for publishing.

Mike Fisher Binder Design

Mfreptiles

I've downloaded this free CAD software for much the same purpose as you, Murray. It's worth a look...

Pete

Reply to
Pete Lilja

I've used ModelCAD by the same maker of Design Cad. Have some nice features for R/C Planes and rocket gliders. I got it for $50.

/ArtU

Reply to
ArtU

DesignCad will read .DWF (AutoCad) files. It will only choke if you use some rally sophisticated 3D gyrations (Splines, Nurbs, Illumination, etc.) that are unlikely to be seen for hobby use.

Of course AutoCadLT will read their files. It's big limitation is that it is primarily a 2D package.

Al Gloer

Thank you Al.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I think IMSI still has a freeware version of thier TurboCad called Learning edition still available for download on their web site. It will do most of what regular TurboCad will do, with only a few features disabled. It should work for your application and if you find you need the disable features, (the only thing I have found that is diabled is rotated eliptical arcs), the regular version is around $100.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Winings

Thank you to all who responded. I am off to download and check out the software recommended. Looking for a low learning curve due to a definite lack of free time. Thanks again. See you all at LDRS in Geneseo! Murray

Reply to
M D Lampert

v.14 is the lastest version of this package, list prices are

DesignCAD 3D MAX 14 $99.95 3D DesignCAD Express 14 $49.95 2D

for more info from the software maker see

note that the 3D package its available right now for $79.99 from CompUsa for
and will be available for under $70 from Amazon and others in a few weeks if you can wait for the better price

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed