Disappointed with LDRS this year

I decided at the last minute to drive the 2144 miles round trip to LDRS in New York. I was only there on Saturday and decided to leave Saturday evening after seeing the weather forecast for thunderstorms for Sunday.

I must be spoiled by the last two LDRSes, particularly Argonia last year.

LDRS this year was much smaller than the last two years, I think even smaller I was expecting. The number of vendors was way down from previous years. I thought a lot more flyers from the east coast would show up since many of them can't make the other LDRSes.

Rocket launching was at a particularly liesurely pace, not helped by aircraft constantly taking off and landing on the airstrip. Last year was one rocket taking off after another.

I'm just disappointed after the last two years. It was still a huge launch by any measure. I'm glad I went to see flyers and vendors I haven't talked to since last year.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

OTOH think how those of us within a 5 hour drive, and found out a month before that a work commitment (major system implementation) required a cancellation.

Then to add insult to injury, our system vendor CATO'd on Thursday at 2PM.

RATS***

Reply to
Al Gloer

That's a bummer alright, but I guess it's not real surprising with a launch in the NE -- too many factors working against it, as compared to some of the western launches. Low waiver, higher costs, etc.

On the up side, it beats waiting in long lines. :)

Oh, how close was the airstrip?

Reply to
RayDunakin

I'm guessing 1000 feet from the LCO, maybe less. I am assuming there was corrdination between the airstrip and the LCO because they always seemed to know when an aircraft was taking off or landing.

The flying site is a working historical airport. Quite a few old military aircraft are hangered there. I had assumed the airstrip was going to be shut down for LDRS.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Flyer fees this year were slightly less than for LDRS last year in Argonia. Yes, there was a vendor fee, but if the only reason someone didn't go to LDRS was due to the launch fees, then they won't be going to any LDRS as they all seem to charge a pretty high fee.

Rocketeers on the east coast complain when LDRS is in the south, midwest, or west, but then don't show up when it does come to the east coast.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

In my mind any one that makes that kind of statement is a liar, idiot, or both.

I live in the east, never complained about LDRS at other locations, and showed up for this one. It was my first LDRS, but not my last. I'll go to the next LDRS that within 2000 mile round trip drive. But I won't be so stupid to stay just one day.

...Fred

Reply to
Fred Taverni

Tough to miss a B-29 running up its' engines for takeoff... ;-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Personally, I can't understand why people can't enjoy themselves with a low-waivered field as much as a high one. I saw rockets flying on everything up to N motors, and none of them broke the waiver. I saw staged, airstarts, BIG clusters, and never once regretted that I couldn't go to two miles or more. :-)

It doesn't *have* to be about getting extreme altitude...

Reply to
Len Lekx

It seemed to have been when NARAM was held there in 2001...

-David Tietz

Reply to
David Tietz

Not in hindsight. He did the right thing based on the Sunday reports. He watched the "cream of the crop" and got on with life.

Respect.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jerry is correct for once. I would have stayed had the weather forecast not been for thunderstorms on Sunday. I decided I had better things to do at home than stand in the rain at a rocket launch.

LDRS is a lot more fun when you attend with others, but nobody else from Minnesota wanted to go this year. A large group of us from Minnesota went to Argonia last year and it was a blast. We were onsite for 4 1/2 days. A bunch of us plan to go to LDRS in Canada even though it is a 1250 mile drive.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Brian-

You made your decision based on many factors. Whatever you choose for yourself is fine. Just see no reason for you to bash Easterners just because you aren't one.

If I were to drive 2000 miles I plan to stay for more than two days because I know the weather could go bad. You missed Thursday and Friday and the EX launch days Monday and Tuesday.

Didn't bring friends with you? Why not make new ones, maybe even some Easterners, maybe even me?

Reply to
Fred Taverni

You are in alignment with reality for once.

But take note. You now have detractors.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Sooo. How were they?

Danger, Will Robinson! :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Brian-

I've been flying HPR since 1993 and have attended five LDRS events in that time. Not once have I heard an east coast flyer ever complain that LDRS was not in the east. BTW, I'm an east coaster and fly a lot (mostly) with east coasters. Everyone I talk to and fly with is excited to get the opportunity to fly at the salt flats, Black Rock, or Argonia. But we like the convenience of every three or four years having an LDRS on the east coast (Orangeburg, SC in 1996 & 2000, NY state in 2004). Do we not deserve it? I get the distinct feeling that you feel that we don't.

So Brian, stay out west and fly at all the great launches run by great people where you can deploy a chute @ 25000' AGL and still recover it.

One thing you did hit on: What a crappy weekend to have LDRS! I made it there for the first two days with one of my kids only because it was before the 4th of July weekend. Maybe the 4th of July weekend has something to do with the lack of attendance. It certainly curtailed the length of my stay.

Scott Ghiz TRA#2760, L3

Reply to
Scott Ghiz

I am a west coaster who has ALWAYS suggested LDRS be in the east or midwest.

We have many more launches than you do.

I supply as evidence the very first LDRS-Lucerne was 2001 even though I was there at inception and at least till 1992.

I agree with that!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

What else is there to do on a July 4th weekend??

Reply to
RayDunakin

HAAAAAAAAA! That's pretty funny. Don't assume.

Reply to
Phil Stein

I don't have any problem with having LDRS on the east coast.

Every time the location for the next LDRS is announced, if it isn't on the east coast, there are inevitably people from the east coast who complain that LDRS is never on the east coast and is too far away.

LDRS was finally back on the east coast and attendence wasn't even half of the last two LDRSes. Argonia in 2003 was exceptional and I wasn't expecting a launch nearly that big.

I live in Minnesota. Places like Black Rock and the Salt Flats are much further away than even New York. LDRS is always a long ways from Minnesota. Argonia was the closest LDRS since 1999 and it was still 750 miles each way.

We don't have a field capable of holding LDRS here in Minnesota. We've been looking for a larger field to hold a regional launch for a year now and can't find one.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Good luck. I know Minnesota isn't that big & there aren't that many farms.

Maybe a winter launch on the frozen lakes?

Reply to
Phil Stein