Disappointed with LDRS this year

Anybody that thought last weekend in Geneseo was hot & muggy is nutz. If the temp topped 80 deg I'd be amazed. Humidity... where? Come on... I wore jeans all week(end). I know how Geneseo can be in mid summer... it was mild last weekend.

Doug

Reply to
Rocketweb

We tried our best in the Concierge's Louge in the RIT.

Doug

Reply to
Rocketweb

I saw one take off and land about that close in the tiny town of Halls, TN. Halls had a WWII B-17 training base, so it has a big runway... They had some nice air shows before 9/11. The shows were canceled after that, though I didn't check this year to see if they started back. (Personal opinion...We lose if we cancel events like that.)

If you had the $$$, they gave you rides in the B-17, a Stearman, and a two seater P-51. I didn't have that kind of scratch, so my boy and me rode in a tiny little combustion engine helicopter...basically the equivalent of a fiberglass Bell 47, but I never asked what model it was. IIRC, the only person that had enough cash to ride in the P-51 was a single Japanese tourist (IIRC, it was a $1,000 flight going to keeping old warbirds in the air). From what I saw when he got out, he had one heck of a fun time! A couple of people rode in the Stearman, and one group of four WWII vets rode in the B-17. Takeoff with all four of the big radials at full throttle is felt in your chest as much or more so than heard. I'd love to be up close and personal for a B-29 liftoff!

Reply to
Tim

I don't think the Memphis Belle has been restored to flight status. The last time I saw her, she was in extremely poor condition. As far as I know, she is still being restored at the Millington Naval base near Memphis and is still in need of parts. Anyone that can help, please contact them.

Tim

Yeah. Just like the old steam locos that once crisscrossed the nation by the thousands, and were quickly scrapped in the post-WWII era. It's only when most of them are gone that folks look around and start to realize what's been lost and that, hey, maybe we should save a few of these things.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Kind of like World War II veterans. Now that most of them are gone, we finally see the light.

Reply to
Tim

There's a Lancaster and two Hurricanes flying with the Battle of Britain memorial flight.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

According to the City of Memphis tourism Bureau, today, right this moment, THE, original, Memphis Belle IS on display at Mud Island, Memphis Tennessee and has been since 1998.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

just looked at the video, the pilot had green eyes. 8

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

After the war, the military sold 'em. And Hollywood destroyed 'em by the dozens in movies. By no means all, but a lot were destroyed that way.

I'm sure the military destroyed their share that they couldn't otherwise dispose of.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

They chop them into big hunks & sell them for scrap. LAtely, I've seen C141's chipped into ~10 pieces, stripped of their engines & electronics on auctions. I think it was on Discovery Channel that I saw this being done to B52's.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Yes. Two reasons. Foreign governments destroyed some because of Lend-Lease. Under that program, you paid for them when you turned them back in, but you didn't have to pay if they had been destroyed. Go figure the logic in that one. I've seen video of navy fighters getting pushed off the decks of Lend-Lease Royal Navy escort carriers.

The second reason had to do with protecting the aircraft industry. Very early on, probably before Pearl Harbor, the government had already agreed that after the war, surplus birds would be destroyed to protect the post-war industry. While that seems back-room and underhanded, not to mention wasteful, it was actually necessary and useful.

Oh, the nastiness of capitalism :)

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Nope.

It is up in Millington.

Memphis may be one of the top 50 most populated cities in the country, but it is still run like the smallest. The Bureau might get around to changing their info if/when it gets restored and given a more "permanent" place to be displayed.

Burt

Reply to
Burt Holyfield

You won't find me in either of those places in the summer.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Ok, then there is a another B-17 labeled Memphis Belle at Mud Island. They really shouldn't be passing it off as the real deal.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

I don't know about Florida, but winter at black rock can be pretty harsh also.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

The Memphis Belle which was seen at LDRS23 (and it was awesome doing low passes of the field) was the one used in the movie. The 'real' Memphis Belle is down south.

I have to say that the vintage warbirds buzzing the field every now and then certainly added to the LDRS experience this year. I, for one, really enjoyed the 'private' airshow.

This weekend there will be thousands paying for the privilege of seeing these magnificent warplanes fly.

Next weekend, the Rochester Airshow. And BTW, some of the gang from BRS that ran LDRS23 are involved in the Rochester Airshow as well. We are going to be taking the Toronto - Rochester ferry across for the day to take in the airshow and to help out if we can.

73 Murray

Reply to
Murray

According to the official Memphis Belle website, today, right at this moment, THE original Memphis Belle is dissasembled and being restored in Millington.

Can I see The Belle?

Yes, the Memphis Belle has been relocated from her pavilion on Mud Island River Park in downtown Memphis, TN to hangar N7 at Millington Airport. The "Belle's" restoration facility is open Tuesday-Friday 10-3; Monday & Saturday by appointment. Come and pay your respects to this grand airplane, her crew and through them to everyone who sacrificed for our freedom and democracy in WWII. For more information, please contact us at snipped-for-privacy@Memphisbelle.com

Tim

Nope. Old information.

Reply to
Tim

You ain't from around here, are you? ;)

No Belle at Mud Island...she was moved a while back. There is a "Belle" copy flying at airshows.

Mud Island's website shows no Belle:

Again from

Question:

When will the belle be finished'... said three years. When will that be?

Answer:

Our restoration team is working diligently but expects their work to continue through 2005. They continue to uncover additional repairs which need to be made, so check back with our Web site for photo updates in the restoration section. Materials have become a pressing need for our restoration team ... donations of materials and cash to purchase materials is always appreciated by our volunteer restoration team.

Question:

I read the Memphis Belle is coming to our local air show. And, I saw the Memphis Belle at an air show a couple of years ago. How can you be restoring the aircraft when it is traveling around the country to air shows? What is the story?

Answer:

We get this question a lot.

The REAL Memphis Belle has been in Memphis, TN, since July of 1946 when she was saved from the surplus scrap operation in Altus, OK, by the City of Memphis. She is designated a national historic treasure and will never fly again.

More than one B-17 has been dressed up to look like the Memphis Belle over the years. Currently one, which played the Memphis Belle in the

1990 theatrical movie, visits air shows throughout the USA and Canada. The air show advertising makes it sound like tne Memphis Belle is visiting, but check the fine print.

Proceeds from those shows do not support our restoration efforts or the Memphis Belle in any way. We encourage everyone to join our association and/or make a contribution to our restoration work. Cneck out the Get Involved section of this Web site for more information.

Reply to
Tim