LDRS Dates

Buffalo Rocket Society is happy to announce that the dates for the 2004 LDRS have been set. They are: Thursday, July 1st thru Sunday, July 4th. The EX days are Monday, July 5th and Tuesday, July 6th. The launch will be held at The Historic Aircraft Group field in Geneseo New York........the site of both BRS's BUFFROC and The Invitational. The site is aprox 20 miles South of the Rochester, NY exit off of Interstate 90. (exit 46). Check out the BRS website for more directions. Now that we have the date, BRS will start working on hotels and the banquet. We are in the process of setting up a website for LDRS and much more info will follow. At least now, you can put in for the vacation days:-)!

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

What altitudes can we expect for the waiver? I've got a big project I'd like to work on but need to know the limits.

Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
MaSter bLasteR

Alright! Thanks for the update, Lloyd.

-Rich

Acti>

Reply to
Rich Pitzeruse

Day of Knob?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Ok Jerry, what is Knob? Potassium oxide barium? Ahh that would be KnO2Ba.....lay it on me, I'm in the dark

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I'm not Jerry, but in the local RMR vernacular, "knob" apparently refers to propellants optimized more for visual plume effects - smoke, colors, etc. - than for sheer thrust performance. (For example, Aerotech Redline and BlackJack are more "knob" than something like Pro38 propellant, Jerry's "standard" formula, or whatever RDC used in the original "Enerjet-8".)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Great, I'm planning on taking the whole week off to spend at the launch. If possible, I may tow my Z28 down and do a little drag racing nearby, too.

Mark Simpson

I hear Rich uses it to describe color FX motors from AMW.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Set the Z28 up for a couple of P motors. ;)

tim

Reply to
Tim

Very nice. Now the planning begins.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Hey Lloyd am I welcome to go to LDRS? I have my NAR card :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

aren't those the dates that NYPOWER is usually held at Genesco? what = happens to NYPOWER ?

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

That's gonna be one big and mighty popular NYPOWER.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jerry Sure.....you're more than welcome! Of course, if you want to go beyond the flight line on EX day........we may have to get you a disguise and surround you with Tripoli guys:-)!

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

Mark Definately bring the Z along. If we can't get it over to the strip we can always strap a bunch of P motors to it and run it down the runway. I've got a set of AT tires all ready for it. Sure would beat the heck out of the FTBOD:-)!

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

Jim While we might go for 10,000 ft, our current thinking is to use the standard

8,000 ft that we normally use. There is a town about 1 mile from the site. The prevailing winds normally blow toward the town. If the winds are high enough, and a rocket pops it's main at apogee, there is a real possibility that the rocket would land in the town. Obviously, we don't want that to happen:-). In all the years we've been flying from this site, we've only had three (that I can remember, at least:-) that even got close. Our other option would be to get the 10,000 ft and just not let the high rockets fly, if the conditions arn't right. With this situation though, you (and others) run the risk of building a rocket, and NOT being able to fly it. We'd rather NOT be put in the situation of having to make that decision:-)! Geneseo is a GREAT site for lower altitude rockets. My suggestion would be to build rockets that would stay under 7,000 ft. Build them big and heavy and use a REAL big motor! That way, we'll all see the whole flight and the recovery will stay on the field.

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

You heard it here first folks. I have been invited by the host. Lloyd would you be so kind as to inform me of any change IN WRITING and IN ADVANCE and be sure this is really, really true.

I have ried for several years with various irrational rejections.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You've had a reason in the past for only going for 8,000 feet; compromising that for the sake of LDRS would be a serious mistake, I think.

Yes, some folks will grumble about "low waivers", but ya know what? That's THEIR problem, not yours! Plenty of fun & exciting rocketry to be had under 8K!

Heck, our LDRS project for Argonia only went 787 feet and we were thrilled beyond belief.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

A year of advance notice and a good dual deployment system ought to solve that.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jeff Taylor coined the phrase, and it wasn't the motor he was referring to, but the people who fly them.

Rich (the knob) Pitzeruse =)

Reply to
Rich Pitzeruse