LDRS Progress

All Just wanted all to know that progress IS being made on next years LDRS:-). I made a deal today for the host hotel, and a tenative deal on the banquet. As soon as the contracts are signed and the BRS Board agrees with the terms, I'll post the info so you can start reserving rooms. The hotel is one of the best in the area and they cut us a very good deal! The Web Site is coming along, too. Now that our webmasters (Doug Caskey) busy season is over, he is working on the site. Should be up in several weeks. Now, I have a question. As part of the LDRS package, BRS has to arrange for a banquet for the members (sized at between 200 to 400 people). We have several choices. One would be to have an outside Steak Roast, at the field, under a big tent or possibly in a big hanger. The food is good, too:-). The disadvantages are that it's outside. That means bugs, poor lighting, uncomfortable chairs, plastic silverware and plates, no humidity or temperature control. Also, it's a long drive back to the hotel to clean up, then back to the field, then back to the hotel. Finally, the overall price isn't that great. The price of the dinner can be kept to around $9 but when you factor in the cost of the tent, tables and chairs, ect. the cost goes up another $5 to $6. When you factor in the price of gas....... The steaks are GOOD, though! A second choice would be to have it at a party house about 8 miles further south from Geneseo. They have really good food, at pretty good prices. Somewhere around $15 or $17 for a nice buffet.The main disadvantages are that's it's even farther from the hotels and it's fairly small. Seeting to only around

200 max. Finally, the banquet at the host hotel. Very classy place. VERY convient:-). Great food. Can seat to 550. Disadvantage: Price! Their meals start at around $17. I think we can work out a nice meal for $20. A very nice one for $25. Shoot the moon for $30. So what's everyone think? When thinking on these issues.... remember. The Rochester area has one of the highest per capita incomes in the country AND one of the highest costs of living. We are also just North of a VERY large resort area (the Finger Lakes) and it's a holiday weekend! Finally, the Rochester area plays host to a number of large events, during the summer. There are upwards of 9000 hotel rooms and 25 to 30 banquet facilities, and we STILL have to book early! For these reasons, prices may seem high. What we need to know is what the majority would like:-). Personally, I'd like to "shoot the moon" as it's a special ocassion:-). Also, please keep in mind that BRS isn't going to make a dime on the banquet. What it costs, you pay. Please let me know what you think. Thanking You.

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

Don't shoot for the moon but Hotel is best as you can talk and relax after the meal and head for bed early.

Paul

Reply to
buffalo

Does this mean there will be no mandatory donation to the legal fund as part of this year's banquet?

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Good to hear that things are shaping up for Geneseo. I'm really looking forward to it!

Personally, I would go with the steaks on the field.

Doug Pratt

Doug Pratt

Comfort and convenience. Since I am already reserved at the hotel and plan to come pending a host change of mind, Iguess I get to vote.

I have one request. NO RAFFLE at the banquet. Have it at the field!!! They charge you for the room time and it is interminable. Further there is probably more important business to discuss such as removal of Kelly from TRA for cause.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The raffle doesn't seem to take that much time. I'll bet the cost of the room is small compared to the cost of the meal.

You are not a member of TRA, so you shouldn't be allowed at the member meeting.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Are you talking a catered steak fry? That might be a nice change of pace.

After all, it isn't Argonia, so an outside banquet is less of an issue.

Jeff Barnes TRA #2267

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

Who made the rule you could only have one party anyway? Sounds like something Rogers would do, not Blazanin.

I vote for parties every night!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That could change by then:)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

$17 is STEEP?!

I had Foie Gras the other night that was $30!

I'm gambl> All

Reply to
Gene Costanza

Jerry Who said there WERN"T going to be parties every night? I'm working on a "Beers of the World" thing for the local watering hole:-). The banquet is just the "offical" one! Fly/party till you drop!

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

Gene Yeah....but you're a New Yuaaaker and you're used to paying $30 for some form of Mystery Meat:-). Up here..... in the sticks, we're more used to eating things we've hunted, cleaned and cooked ourselves. But....... at least we know what we're eating:-). And AT the hotel means not having to stumble to far to your bed!

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

What, too cheap to spring for the Baby Harp Seal Tartare?

Reply to
BB

Hold it at the hotel where there's enough room for everyone. $17 isn't all that horrific.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Actionxprs wrote: lots deleted

Since I'm going to break down and join TRA so I can fly at the EX Launch, my vote's for on-field steaks. I can eat at a restaurant the rest of the week, I like eating outside at the field like we did for NYPOWER. Besides, who wants to see you "shoot the moon"? I could lose my appetite real fast. >;-)

Mark Simpson

From what I hear, the number of people that want to feed me beer, get me drunk and raid my motor stash is large. And some want me to tell stories.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I finally said something guaranteed to get a high level of agreement. It had to happen some day :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The Tripoli banquet is not a "party" per se. It is a banquet, and also a meeting (IIRC, members can attend the meeting even if they aren't eating at the banquet.)

Reply to
RayDunakin

Jerry I will volunter to feed you Beer, Scotch AND hide your motor stash for you. Of course, after drinking all that Beer and Scotch, I MAY forget where I put them:-).

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

Mark Depends on who's moon I shoot......... doesn't it:-)?