Disappointed with LDRS this year

I watched that on Thursday or Friday. I wish I had my camera at the time. It was beautiful - nice & slow & low.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Chuck Rudy

It was not the muggy weather the east usually has. We had some late nights at the Daze Inn lounge and had no problem making it through the day by losing too much water.....sweating was at a minimum. Now in comparason today at home I'm sweating just checking the mailbox, had this weather been at LDRS people would have been dropping like flies. If you can cut a hole in the air with a knife, it's humid

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Drink more beer at the launch site!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Congrats.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

We did our best imitation of camels by tanking up at night. 8

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

If you like warbirds, go to the EAA airshow in Oshkosh, WI.

Growing up on Air Force bases, I thought I'd seen a lot of warbirds over the years.... Wrong!

At Oshkosh last year, I saw more warbirds in the air at one time than I had seen my entire life! And maybe half of what was there was flying! It's worth the trip just to see all the vintage WW II aircraft in the air at once.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

In 1993 my dad, my middle son, and myself, got to fly aboard the 909 from B'ham, to Tuscaloosa, to Montgomery. My dad served on 3 different B-17's during WWII and he wanted us to have the experience of flying in one. The 3 of us had the run of the 909 for about 90 minutes and it was fantastic. The thing I liked most was the split deck in the nose.

There is usually a B-24 Liberator that flies with it to various air shows.

At the time we flew, we were told the 909 was 1, of only 9, that remain flight worthy and the Liberator was the last one.

Here's a link to a few photos of both.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Take it from a retired roofing contractor, 115* and 10 % humidity, is a lot more bearable than 80* with 90% humidity. I did a large roof in Amarillo once (110* & 10%) and there was no comparison to South Alabama heat. When it hits 95* & 90% here, it's absolutely smothering.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

I believe there are currently a few B-17s that are flying.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Hahahaha, we sure did, and that was just as much fun as the launch was! ;)

-Rich

Chuck Rudy wrote:

Reply to
Rich Pitzeruse

I have heard alot about Oshkosh. Matter of fact I almost went there one year with a friend and his father who built his own plane. Our plans crashed at the last monment and I never made it. I would love to go there someday if I could.

Joe C.

Reply to
Joe C

Excellent. I envy you! That would be so cool to fly in one. I do have the B17 plane for MS Flight Sim 2004 which I bought from a company in England. The B17 they model is very realistic right now to the engine sounds. Which is one reason why I video taped it, I wanted to compare the real sounds vs the engines in FS. Flying the B17 in FS (and MS Combat FS) is alot of fun. The plane in FS lands at such a slow speed, I wonder what the stall speed is for the real one?

Thanks for the site. I have book marked it.

Joe C.

Reply to
Joe C

I heard that there were two B-17s still flying.

I believe there's only one flying Lancaster (Hamilton Ont). They also had the only flyable Hurricane, but a hanger fire destroyed it several years back.

I've seen the Lancaster flying several times. Hurricane only once.

During Canada day celebrations a few years back, just before the fireworks started, they had the Lancaster stooging around over Ottawa, with spot lights "searching for it", and a vintage WWII air raid siren going.

A number of the audience were survivors of the London Blitz and found it rather hard to take...

Reply to
Chris Lewis

The most recent count that I've seen lists 44 complete B-17 airframes...

12 Operational 20 Static displays 5 Undergoing restoration 7 In storage

from

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

But did you see a B-17 land... 100 feet away? We did at LDRS 23. :)

Oshkosh is great ... and the 1941 HAG Airshow (this weekend) ranks in the top 10 of airshows of the year.

Doug

Reply to
Rocketweb

I can name 3: Memphis Belle, Yankee Lady, Fuddy Duddy.

Doug

Reply to
Rocketweb

Most surviving were either recycled or left to rot. :( Others that have been restored were either under ice or water.

Doug

Reply to
Rocketweb

Just to clarify and set the record straight... Since 1997 BRS (AKA Tripoli Western New York/NAR WNY) has co-hosted with the Rochester club MARS, NYPOWER in Geneseo. Last year the powers to be in MARS excluded BRS from NYPOWER... so to make a LOOOOONG story short. BRS hosted LDRS this year.

Other than one year in which we co-hosted the NYPOWER/NSL on Memorial Day Weeken, and last year when we were not involved... we have held a

4th launch in Geneseo.

Doug

Reply to
Rocketweb