LDRS - Day 4

Today sucked. The winds started out on the high side and only became worse as the day marched on.

As quick as I could, I launched a Bull Pup on an AMW L777. Other flyers jumped on the band wagon and a quick volley of higher motor left the pads. On guy launched a 10 foot tall two stage bird. The second stage never lit and the deployment event never happened. It came down at terminal velocity fully intact and completely disappeared into the ground without a trace. Robert DeHate helped dig it out of the ground. He said the 10 foot rocket was compressed to less then 3 feet.

The field was still too dry to burn sparky's, but one guy figured out how to get around it. He sent a big two stage up from out on the away cell. I forget what the booster stage was, but the second stage was a K1000 Skidmark. He used thermite to light the motors. There was a considerable pause after the first motor burnt out, then the thermite lit the sustainer. That skidmark light with what can only be described as a sonic boom and roared out of sight.

The wind continued to pick up all day. It was decided to shut the range down early because of it.

Doc

Reply to
Doc