LDRS Report - Day 3

The banquet lasted until 12:30 so that's why this is a day late.

Another day of beautiful weather. The sun was brutal and nary a cloud in sight. The air was still, and thus many of the M and N motors tickled the waiver.

That monster Mosquito?... I had the motor configuration wrong. It had a central 98mm and six 75mm mounts. It went up on an M and a bunch of L's That puppy leapt from the pad with complete, unadulterated authority. At around

2,000 feet the nosecone and chute came off but it just kept roaring skyward like nothing happened. I continued skyward, dragging the nosecone and chute behind it all the way to around 4,000 feet. At apogee, nothing happened other than gravity began to once again size the hapless craft. It then came back to earth with the same authority that it had when it left, straight into the parking lot. The number of people doing the mile in well under 4:40 was astonishing.

The was a TON of M and N flights today. In fact the M motors started becoming boring and some of us were only looking for the N flights. Field still too dry. No sparky's.

The bowling balls went much better today. Some of the balls we allowed to be shot from a tube. The tube was sealed at the bottom so the exhaust from the motor pushed the ball out like a cannon. Geoff elder had the highest ball coming out of the cannon at 2,755 feet. I had second place at 2,713 feet. I shot mine off of a conventional tower. Several others qualified with lofts in the 2,500 foot range. One qualified in the 900 foot range. Everyone received substantial prizes for their efforts at the banquet.

The banquet and meeting was interesting. There was some changes made, including Dick stepping down as prez and Ken becoming prez. (But I'm sure that it old news now. The "group" promised to do everything to keep the PAD exemption enforced and even mentioned the we all must be rallied again to fight an expected NPRM. Ky M talked for over an hour about his experiences getting ready to launch his rocket into space. Dinner was ok. I should have had the chicken :-(

Doc

Reply to
Doc

Thanks for the update, Doc. I'm sorry I couldn't make it. Glad to hear about Ken Good, he is a class act.

Reply to
Tad Danley

This is the stuff that makes me cringe. Was the rocket not properly angled down range, or did the drag from the partially deployed chute pull it over the wrong way?

Nope, first I've heard of that!

Thanks again for the launch report!

Reply to
RayDunakin

There was basically no wind on Saturday, so launch angle wouldn't have made much difference.

Most launches have the away cell basically straight in front of the LCO. They had they away cell way off to the far left of the LCO. I think the away cell may have actually been closer to he left end of the flight line than the LCO.

I've never been to a launch where rockets didn't land in the crowd. This ir probably the biggest thing I've seen land in a crowd besides a 'Q' motor casing at BALLS in 2002.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RayDunakin) writes:

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Brian E. wrote:

Reply to
RayDunakin

Did one or more rockets drift into greater downtown Geneso? How big was it? Hit anything? What kind of newspaper & TV coverage did LDRS get? How many spectators would you say showed up? Thanks. -- Richard"full of......questions" Hickok

Reply to
Rhhickok

Wait until you see the pictures I got! :-) From 3200 feet, the site looks pretty large.

It's hard to believe, but I got amazingly clear pictures from a fixed-focus Advantix F150 (Kodak APS) camera with a 1/250th-second shutter speed. I can't compare them with any from my Olympus cameras, though... since the wire for the power-switch part of that controller broke.

I'm going to have to do some re-engineering of the booster, too. It flew fine on a Pro54 K445, but the AMW K800BB I put in it for the second flight actually pulled apart a JB-Weld-bonded thrust ring! :-O Pushed the motor (adapter and all) three inches into the motor-mount tube... incinerating part of the tube AND the aft CRs. (Next time - G10 rings on the aft rings and all bulkheads...)

Pictures will be posted to abmr in about a week. I get back to working Midnight shifts tomorrow... plus it's going to be 10-hour shifts for a while. Or - if you don't mind waiting, some of them might be in the LDRS 23 Report issue of HPR. (I gave copies to Nadine, who was VERY impressed with them...)

Time to start working on the rebuild. Let's see... the first incarnation was called Yikes! ... the second was Yikes-Again!... dare I call the next one Yikes-Cubed! ...? :-D

Reply to
Len Lekx

I've been reading the LDRS reports with great anticipation since I made the decision to bail late June....but I don't get some of what's occurring. I've been flying at Geneseo for 7-8 years, but some of this stuff has me scratching my head. The reports that there were lots of delays for planes taking off and landing is typical for Geneseo, but the farmer harvsting the hay in the middle of the launch is inexcusable, IMHO. Isn't BRS paying the guy enough so that he can wait a few days until everyone's gone? The $5 parking fees, camping fees, on-site food service, how much more does the old guy need?!

Mark Simps> snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RayDunak>

Reply to
Mark Simpson

I think hay is one of those things where you just gotta harvest it when it's ready to be harvested if you want good hay...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Shoulda used Titebond.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

This is typical TRA/LDRS bad planning. BRS was not the first to be associated with TRA bad planning.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

How about one day sooner???

How about following the bailing with a MOWER in the launch areas themselves so sparkies are no prob??

Just launch host Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Great!!!!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jerry Irvine

So what do we really know about Ken Good??

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Well we know he's Prez and you're not.

We know he hasn't been slapped with a $40,000 fine like you have.

Reply to
mAXiMum tHrUSt

I was just wondering to myself the value of insurance that has a range limit of one mile. I've lost count of how many times my MODEL rockets have drifted more than a mile from where I launched them. Even HPR birds, with a chute deployment at apogee, are likely to drift a mile if there is any breeze at all. My first I and my first J both broke a mile. And at least one of my old Danville H flights did as well.

Sounds like a pretty worthless policy to me, not covering simple flights that don't even violate any of the rules.

Bob Kaplow

Are all those fees (parking, camping, vendor, etc) going to the land owner, or to TRA?

Bob Kaplow

Actually, while reading this thread, I did think of one good fee. $1,000,000 parking fee for any federal government vehicles.

Bob Kaplow