LDRS Report - Day 3

The banquet lasted until 12:30 so that's why this is a day late.
Another day of beautiful weather. The sun was brutal and nary a cloud in
sight. The air was still, and thus many of the M and N motors tickled the waiver.
That monster Mosquito?... I had the motor configuration wrong. It had a central 98mm and six 75mm mounts. It went up on an M and a bunch of L's That puppy leapt from the pad with complete, unadulterated authority. At around 2,000 feet the nosecone and chute came off but it just kept roaring skyward like nothing happened. I continued skyward, dragging the nosecone and chute behind it all the way to around 4,000 feet. At apogee, nothing happened other than gravity began to once again size the hapless craft. It then came back to earth with the same authority that it had when it left, straight into the parking lot. The number of people doing the mile in well under 4:40 was astonishing.
The was a TON of M and N flights today. In fact the M motors started becoming boring and some of us were only looking for the N flights. Field still too dry. No sparky's.
The bowling balls went much better today. Some of the balls we allowed to be shot from a tube. The tube was sealed at the bottom so the exhaust from the motor pushed the ball out like a cannon. Geoff elder had the highest ball coming out of the cannon at 2,755 feet. I had second place at 2,713 feet. I shot mine off of a conventional tower. Several others qualified with lofts in the 2,500 foot range. One qualified in the 900 foot range. Everyone received substantial prizes for their efforts at the banquet.
The banquet and meeting was interesting. There was some changes made, including Dick stepping down as prez and Ken becoming prez. (But I'm sure that it old news now. The "group" promised to do everything to keep the PAD exemption enforced and even mentioned the we all must be rallied again to fight an expected NPRM. Ky M talked for over an hour about his experiences getting ready to launch his rocket into space. Dinner was ok. I should have had the chicken :-(
Doc
--
Drake "Doc" Damerau
www.rocketmaterials.org
Doc wrote:

Thanks for the update, Doc. I'm sorry I couldn't make it. Glad to hear about Ken Good, he is a class act.
--
* Do NOT use Reply *

Reply to K3TD via arrl dot net

So what do we really know about Ken Good??

Well we know he's Prez and you're not.
We know he hasn't been slapped with a $40,000 fine like you have.
mAXiMum tHrUSt wrote:

Looks like this is the same old altopia troll (or its spiritual sibling).
-dave w
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Plenty ... and it is all good stuff! It may be providence:
In the year of the first civilian astronaut, a founding member of Tripoli (an organization founded to further civilian exploration of space) becomes President.
He has GREAT taste in rocket kits: http://www.rimworld.com/airx /
--
* Do NOT use Reply *

Reply to K3TD via arrl dot net

What I find interesting is my email on this. VERY polarized. The typical suspects on each side have either a litany of evil or a litany of good.
That's why I asked. rmr at least has loose cannons (you cannot deny that) and sometimes can offer random insights (and total morons too).

Jerry wrote: << So what do we really know about Ken Good?? >>
The members of TRA know he lives up to his name. :)
Since you're not a member, you don't need to know anything.
Doc wrote: << It then came back to earth with the same authority that it had when it left, straight into the parking lot. >>
This is the stuff that makes me cringe. Was the rocket not properly angled down range, or did the drag from the partially deployed chute pull it over the wrong way?
<< Field still too dry. No sparky's. >>
I'm guessing there's no practical way to wet the field down?
<< Some of the balls we allowed to be shot from a tube. The tube was sealed at the bottom so the exhaust from the motor pushed the ball out like a cannon. Geoff elder had the highest ball coming out of the cannon at 2,755 feet. >>
You're talking about launching from a tube launcher, not an actual "cannon" or mortar, right? Just wanted to clarify this in case someone unfamiliar with tube launching thinks you're shooting bowling balls out of cannons up there.
<< There was some changes made, including Dick stepping down as prez and Ken becoming prez. (But I'm sure that it old news now. >>
Nope, first I've heard of that!
Thanks again for the launch report!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RayDunakin) writes:

There was basically no wind on Saturday, so launch angle wouldn't have made much difference.
Most launches have the away cell basically straight in front of the LCO. They had they away cell way off to the far left of the LCO. I think the away cell may have actually been closer to he left end of the flight line than the LCO.
I've never been to a launch where rockets didn't land in the crowd. This ir probably the biggest thing I've seen land in a crowd besides a 'Q' motor casing at BALLS in 2002.
Brian Elfert
Brian E. wrote: << There was basically no wind on Saturday, so launch angle wouldn't have made much difference. >>
The wind is irrelevant. I'm talking about angling the rocket down range, so that if it comes in ballistic it'll land in a safe area.
<< I've never been to a launch where rockets didn't land in the crowd. >>
I know, and I'm not trying to play Monday morning quarterback here -- maybe these guys did everything right and it still ended up in the wrong place.
I'm also aware that it's not possible to eliminate the risk entirely -- unless you move the pads several miles away, and that's no good either.
I just think we need to make a strong(er) effort to avoid this. Large rockets (or heavy components) coming down hard in parking and spectator areas is just a Really Bad Thing, and it seems to happen much too often IMHO.
BTW, I've had a my rockets crash too close to spectators on a couple of occasions too, and frankly it scares the daylights out of me. That's one reason why I do most of my flying privately. I'd hate to be responsible for killing or injuring someone, or doing major damage to an expensive car/RV.

http://v-serv.com/-upload/MisfireAlleyRange.gif
http://v-serv.com/-upload/SitePlacement.gif

Great!!!!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RayDunakin) writes:

They would have needed one heck of a water truck to water down a dry hay field. The field had recently been cut for hay and the hay bales were still in the field. The farmer would have been upset had his hay gotten wet enough to prevent fires.
The farmer was actully out in his tractor baling hay near the away cell while the launch was going on. Later, the farmer was loading the hay bales onto a semi trailer during the launch. The semi trailer was maybe 75 feet from the main pads when the farmer was doing this.
The farmer was in a tractor with full cab, but a rocket could probably pierce a tractor cab if something went wrong.
Brian Elfert
Did one or more rockets drift into greater downtown Geneso? How big was it? Hit anything? What kind of newspaper & TV coverage did LDRS get? How many spectators would you say showed up? Thanks. -- Richard"full of......questions" Hickok
(Rhhickok) writes:

I was just wondering to myself the value of insurance that has a range limit of one mile. I've lost count of how many times my MODEL rockets have drifted more than a mile from where I launched them. Even HPR birds, with a chute deployment at apogee, are likely to drift a mile if there is any breeze at all. My first I and my first J both broke a mile. And at least one of my old Danville H flights did as well.
Sounds like a pretty worthless policy to me, not covering simple flights that don't even violate any of the rules.
Bob K. wrote: << Sounds like a pretty worthless policy to me, not covering simple flights that don't even violate any of the rules. >>
Fine. Go start your own national rocketry org and get your own insurance for it.

Why change a broken one when you can start fresh?
:)

Why do either when there is an unbroken group available?

Why change anything when there is a broken group to join!