LDRS Report - Day 1

The day started out quite disorganized. I'm not saying that it was a bad thing, just that it took awhile to get started. Once they got the name badges and the registration line got to a reasonable length, things went smoother.

The attendance was pretty good for a Thursday, and the first day of the launch. I'm guessing 200 or 300 people were there. I ran into one family that said that they saw the Rocketry Challenge on TV. Because of that, they drove all the way from Massachusetts to attend LDRS. Not to launch rockets, but just to watch! (Anyone paying attention here?)

Ky was here with the payload section of the rocket he sent into space. That was quite a treat to see it, play with it and to hear the stories of the whole project. Ky was being patted on the back all day long.

Looking at vendor row, I saw lots of people spending money. The layout of the vendors is confusing to say the least, but people found what they needed and bought it. I saw lots of rocket sales in the "big low power" range.

The field is dry, so they put the kibosh on all Skidmark motors for now. That disappointed quite a few people, but safety is first and everyone understood. The wind was quite hi today. That kept many of the M and bigger flights to a minimum.

However, Mike Dutch flew his Marvin the Martian on the AMW M1350GG and was a nice flight. He has pledged to launch that same rocket on an M motor four days in a row. This may be some kind of record. Two Hypertek M motors went off with awesome authority. There were actually quite a few I and J hybrids that went up today.

None of the bowling balls went up today. For me (yes I have one) it was the wind. Tomorrow is looking better so at least mine will go.

Doc

Reply to
Doc

The day was great, lota people there, not tons of flights, but a good turn out. Should be alot more for tomorrow and the weekend!

- Theo

Reply to
Theo McD.

Thanks for the update, Doc!

Reply to
RayDunakin

I drove all the way from Minnesota just to watch too. Not worth the launch fees to launch one rocket.

I suppose I should be heading out to the field instead of posting on RMR.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert