Silking Balsa Fins?

I'm hoping someone can help me with a question on reinforcing balsa fins with silk paper, like that done on RC planes. It has been several years since I last did this. I know there is a 50/50 mix using a glue with thinner, but I can't find the exact name anywhere. Can anyone help here? Thanks, Bill Schiller

Reply to
Bill Schiller

Fin repair, perpare for a laugh !

Also, how to cover with Silk Span:

50/50 mix ? Airplane Dope/Dope Thinner ?

Art

Reply to
ArtU

How about just 'painting' them with thin epoxy? It soaks right into the balsa. It makes them much more rigid.

Reply to
Brian Kosko

SIG Nitrate Dope. By "silk paper" I assume you mean silkspan, although it works on real silk, too.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Buck

Read section 8.2.13.1 on tissuing in the glider FAQ:

While this covers Japanese tissue, it's the same process with heavier domestic tissue, or silkspan.

Bob Kaplow