Stick/Paper

Is this a good newsgroup to ask this in? Can't seem to find one sure to be on topic but I am hoping many here will be able to help.

I like to build balsa/tissue models. I have been doing it for a pretty long time. I have learned to use white glue (Elmer's) for everything but tissue application. When I try to use white glue 50/50 mix I get wrinkles where it sticks to the wood. I have not been able to find a way to get rid of these. The problem is that the tissue tries to shrink because the glue is water based but it can't shrink uniformly because the glue is sticking it to the wood. Water in the glue also swells the paper where it is put on the wood which causes the wrinkles in the first place I think.

I looked for info online for this but the only one I found has pictures that don't look too good; his wrinkles are worse than mine. Anyone have some hints that can help me?

I can use dope for tissue application with 0 wrinkles because it is not water based and doesn't cause problems with the tissue. But I know people use white glue and would like to know how they solve the wrinkle problem. I know some also put tissue on wet and when I try that I run into the same trouble.

Anyway, if this is bad newsgroup to ask in let me know. Otherwise hint away...

Thanks.

Reply to
Noah Roberts

Have you tried Paper Paste.I seem to remember it worked Ok for me. The one I used came with a small brush in the bottle cap. The paste is sort of stiff, but brushes on Ok.

Regards

Tom Watson Sydney Australia

Reply to
Tom Watson

Apply tissue uniformly wet?

Try te vintage forum, ort eh builders worksho, in teh discussion forums at rcgroups.

I haven't used tissue in a while - think I used to use a sort of white paste called tissue paste. Looke like a starch based glue to me.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

refer to =

scroll down to = Covering Materials & Instructions , see also Park Flyers and further down Rubber Power.

However, the first answer is to use a warm iron - this softens the white glue and everything usually evens out. Many sheets are joined by applying white glue to each plank. let dry and then iron the two sheets together. A strong uniform bond, much like home dress makers use with "hem stitch" etc.

regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.
1) Use (paper) glue stick 2) Free Flight Mailing List (
)

-Tapio-

Reply to
tapio.linkosalo

Some people use one of the glue sticks to adhere tissue to framework. I believe the one that seemed to work best was UHU brand, It is a purple color in the tube, but there are many brands available now. The glue stick I believe is water soluble and if you get a little wrinkle you can use a little water or saliva on a finger to smooth it out. Also, if you want to thin the white glue, I think I would go for a greater dilution, or higher water to glue ratio. This may help with your problem.

Reply to
Neil Retherford

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:cqgmvu$pv8$2$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

hi i too cover my planes with paper and i use wallpaperglue (normal) and it works fine for me bye benny

Reply to
Benny

purple color

everything

because

Reply to
docferg

YES!

I have used a multitude of different types of paper over the years.

Thinned 50/50 PVA or wallpaper paste work equally well.

Wallpaper paste - the cellulose types - are very good to use as a first coat and reduce the amount of dope required to seal the pores.

Paper applied wet shrinks drum tight - NO wrinkles.

I use one of two methods:-

1 - use some sort of spray to damp the paper.

2 - draw the paper across a bowl of water and allow it to drain or gently squeeze out the excess.

For both methods, handle the paper gently as most papers have very little "wet strength".

HTH

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher