29/180-240 Plugged Forward Closure?

Is the purpose of the optional plugged forward closure, so that no ejection charge is used and you use a altimeter for ejection charge purposes? Are the plugged forward closure and the "standard" forward closure that has the rdk delay charges interchangable.....can you use one or another as you see fit? ie choose to use either engine ejection charge with the standard forward closure or use altimeter based ejection charge with optional plugged forward closure.. sorry to be so dense and such a lamerz per HPR... I'm trying to learn.... TIA

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Yes, exactly. What you just said.

(The plugged closure has the same internal recess for the delay charge assembly, which is still used to provide a smoke trail.)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Yes, they are. If you were to use them in a cluster you don't want them to eject while still coasting up. I've found that not too many dealers carry them though.

JD

Reply to
JDcluster

Exactly. The plugged closure has the recess for the delay (which is now only for tracking), but has no hole in the end and no ejection charge well.

But, you don't "need" a plugged forward closure except on some of the very large motors (K700 for example). Just leave the BP cup empty, and you'll be fine. I've done this about 25 times with no problems. I always use the longest delay I can find, so that the tracking smoke lasts as long as possible. The white sticky circle over the ejection well is usually not even singed. Some others have had problems with "blow-by". A real plugged closure would eliminate any chance of blow-by. I don't worry about this possibility too much, because in a normal motor-ejection mode, a "blow-by" would cause premature ejection and I've never had that happen either.

Reply to
David

Yes.

Yes.