Servo magazine - Good Magazine: Crap Customer Service

Hi

Because of the problems with poor customer service with the amateur robotics magazine Servo, I am publishing my email correspondence regarding issues that have been handled very badly. Hopefully this will resolve these issues and prevent these problems happening to others. It is a great magazine, but clearly there are serious issues that need to be addressed with customer service.

:-]

Cheers

Dale

Well Servo has screwed up AGAIN!!!

The May issue was sent, but the June or July issues have NOT been sent. August may be on the way ( I just received my August NutsnVolts today ) so who knows?

I am reallly holding back from exploding and publishing these problems on my website and on News Groups that I frequent - more than likely I will do it anyway. When subscriptions drop then maybe things will get done.

I am very, very angry that simple solutions are not being implemented, and reflects an unprofessional attitude. It also represents a disrespectful attitude to me the customer.

All it takes is some real effort and application to do a task well - it is not rocket science.

This time I would like this issue to be handled by a competent, senior person, and INSIST that a copy of this email to be given to the board of directors of the company, and an acknowledgement sent to me that they have received it.

It is about time someone took responsibility and accepted the consequences.

Thank you

Dale Stewart

Colleen Alcorn wrote:

Dear Mr Stewart, > > I apologize for all the confusion surrounding your order to Servo magazine. I am in the process of correcting your account and sending you the May and June issues of Servo magazine. It seems that when we received your initial order in January 2005 we put your information in to receive our sister magazine of Nuts and Volts. I have canceled that subscription and started your Servo magazine account. > > Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. > > Thank you, > Colleen Alcorn > Customer Service > snipped-for-privacy@espcomp.com > > -----Original Message----- > From: Dale T Stewart [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au] > Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 8:50 PM > To: Larry Lemieux > Subject: [Fwd: Re: May and June Issues not Received] > Importance: High > > > > Hi > > I would like to say that I enjoy the magazine very much. However, I have had problems with orders and my subscription that have detracted from this. In particular, lost orders, lost subscription, and poor records management. > > I forward emails relating to a current problem with my subscription, which began in February this year. I have not received May and June issues, but have received March and April. I would appreciate that management be informed of these problems, with a view to fix them so as to prevent similar incidents in the future. > > Thank you > > Cheers > > Dale Stewart, Australia > >

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >

> There will be no further inconvenience on my part. YOU will be inconvenienced because I am saying that you must search through YOUR transaction records to match my name and VISA card to the transaction on the date (Australian Time) shown below. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure that any problem caused by your department > is fixed. > > I do not have a hard copy of my VISA statement. I have cut and pasted from the electronic VISA statement from my online account. I will NOT: > > 1. Go to my bank and request a hard copy > 2. Have to pay around $15 to go to the post office to have to fax you a copy of my statement. > > 24-Feb-2005 > > > 2202 USD000000004295; > RETAIL PURCHASE; > T AND L PUBLICATI,909-371-8497 > > > My VISA card number is > > This, and my word should be sufficient to get my issues that have been delayed, and my subscription continued. > > If this is not resolved, then as requested before, I wish this issue escalated to senior staff. > > Dale Stewart > > > Servo wrote: > > Dear Dale Stewart: > > > > I apologize for the inconvenience. > > > > However, I'd searched our files to see if there was already an active subscription in our database but nothing could be found. This is very well due to the fact that we are the new subscription fulfillment department for Servo magazine and had most of the files transferred in late April 2005; you file in particular, was not one of the files, which is the reason we've requested a copy of your credit card statement. > > > > After obtaining your credit card statement, we'll have proof of the subscription purchase and will activate a Servo account in you name. > > > > The fax is 818-487-4550 Attn Angela. > > > > Thank you for your patience. > > > > Sincerely, > > > > Angela > > Email Customer Service > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Dale T Stewart [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au] > Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 8:29 PM > To: Servo > Subject: Re: May and June Issues not Received > Importance: High > > NO!!! > > I do NOT want to have to pay for another subscription. > > I have had problems with Servo magazine orders before due to inadequate system of records management, and am VERY ANGRY that you are suggesting that I have to pay for another subscription. > > The March and April issues had arrived. I just checked my bank statement, and my VISA card was debited USD 42.95 (subscription price) on 24/02/05 Australian Timeto T & L publications. Your company sent me an email dated 22/02/05 Australian Time. > > I want this issue directed to a senior staff person to be resolved. And I also want to discuss with them the woefully inadequte back office systems and poor customer service. > > Thank you > > Dale Stewart > > Servo wrote: > >Dear Dale Stewart: > > > >Thank you for the email. > > > >We are still unable to locate a subscription to Servo magazine. Do you want > >us to enter a new subscription for. Please provide the payment information > >from the first time you'd subscribed. > > > >The fax is 818-487-4550 Attn Angela. > > > >Sincerely, > > > >Angela > >Email Customer Service > > > >-----Original Message----- > >From: Dale T Stewart [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au] > >Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 8:51 PM > >To: Servo > >Subject: Re: May and June Issues not Received > >Importance: High > > > > > >Angela > > > >No, I don't have my subscription number. It was not included in the > >email confirmation sent to me 22/02/05 (Australian Time). > > > >Thank you > > > >Dale Stewart > > > >Servo wrote: > > > > > >>Dear Dale Stewart: >> >> >> >>Thank you for the email. >> >> >> >>Please advise if you have the account number from a the mailing label of an >> >>old issue. It will begin with the letters SV and be followed by six digits. >> >> >> >>Please forward it to snipped-for-privacy@espcomp.com. >> >> >> >>Sincerely, >> >> >> >>Angela >> >>Email Customer Service >> >> >> >>-----Original Message----- >> >>From: Dale T Stewart [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au] >> >>Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 12:02 AM >> >>To: snipped-for-privacy@espcomp.com >> >>Subject: May and June Issues not Received >> >>Importance: High >> >> >> >> >> >>Hi >> >> >> >>I have not received the May and June issues of Servo. >> >> >> >>Details: >> >> >> >>Dale T Stewart >> >>1/86 Central Ave >> >>Oak Flats 2529 >> >>New South Wales >> >>AUSTRALIA >> >> >> >>Thank you >> >> >> >>Dale Stewart >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Subject: > Re: May and June Issues not Received > From: > "Dale T Stewart" > Date: > Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:33:32 -0700 > To: > "Servo" > To: > "Servo" > > There will be no further inconvenience on my part. YOU will be inconvenienced because I am saying that you must search through YOUR transaction records to match my name and VISA card to the transaction on the date (Australian Time) shown below. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure that any problem caused by your department > is fixed. > > I do not have a hard copy of my VISA statement. I have cut and pasted from the electronic VISA statement from my online account. I will NOT: > > 1. Go to my bank and request a hard copy > 2. Have to pay around $15 to go to the post office to have to fax you a copy of my statement. > > > 24-Feb-2005 2202 USD000000004295; > RETAIL PURCHASE; > T AND L PUBLICATI,909-371-8497 > > My VISA card number is , > > This, and my word should be sufficient to get my issues that have been delayed, and my subscription continued. > > If this is not resolved, then as requested before, I wish this issue escalated to senior staff. > > Dale Stewart > > > Servo wrote: > >> Dear Dale Stewart: >> >> I apologize for the inconvenience. >> >> However, I'd searched our files to see if there was already an active subscription in our database but nothing could be found. This is very well due to the fact that we are the new subscription fulfillment department for Servo magazine and had most of the files transferred in late April 2005; you file in particular, was not one of the files, which is the reason we've requested a copy of your credit card statement. >> >> After obtaining your credit card statement, we'll have proof of the subscription purchase and will activate a Servo account in you name. >> >> The fax is 818-487-4550 Attn Angela. >> >> Thank you for your patience. >> >> Sincerely, >> >> Angela >> Email Customer Service >> >> >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Dale T Stewart [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au] >> Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 8:29 PM >> To: Servo >> Subject: Re: May and June Issues not Received >> Importance: High >> >> NO!!! >> >> I do NOT want to have to pay for another subscription. >> >> I have had problems with Servo magazine orders before due to inadequate system of records management, and am VERY ANGRY that you are suggesting that I have to pay for another subscription. >> >> The March and April issues had arrived. I just checked my bank statement, and my VISA card was debited USD 42.95 (subscription price) on 24/02/05 Australian Timeto T & L publications. Your company sent me an email dated 22/02/05 Australian Time. >> >> I want this issue directed to a senior staff person to be resolved. And I also want to discuss with them the woefully inadequte back office systems and poor customer service. >> >> Thank you >> >> Dale Stewart >> >> Servo wrote: >> >>>Dear Dale Stewart: >>> >>>Thank you for the email. >>> >>>We are still unable to locate a subscription to Servo magazine. Do you want >>>us to enter a new subscription for. Please provide the payment information >>>from the first time you'd subscribed. >>> >>>The fax is 818-487-4550 Attn Angela. >>> >>>Sincerely, >>> >>>Angela >>>Email Customer Service >>> >>>-----Original Message----- >>>From: Dale T Stewart [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au] >>>Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 8:51 PM >>>To: Servo >>>Subject: Re: May and June Issues not Received >>>Importance: High >>> >>> >>>Angela >>> >>>No, I don't have my subscription number. It was not included in the >>>email confirmation sent to me 22/02/05 (Australian Time). >>> >>>Thank you >>> >>>Dale Stewart >>> >>>Servo wrote: >>> >>> >>> >>>>Dear Dale Stewart: >>>> >>>>Thank you for the email. >>>> >>>>Please advise if you have the account number from a the mailing label of an >>>>old issue. It will begin with the letters SV and be followed by six digits. >>>> >>>>Please forward it to snipped-for-privacy@espcomp.com. >>>> >>>>Sincerely, >>>> >>>>Angela >>>>Email Customer Service >>>> >>>>-----Original Message----- >>>>From: Dale T Stewart [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au] >>>>Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 12:02 AM >>>>To: snipped-for-privacy@espcomp.com >>>>Subject: May and June Issues not Received >>>>Importance: High >>>> >>>> >>>>Hi >>>> >>>>I have not received the May and June issues of Servo. >>>> >>>>Details: >>>> >>>>Dale T Stewart >>>>1/86 Central Ave >>>>Oak Flats 2529 >>>>New South Wales >>>>AUSTRALIA >>>> >>>>Thank you >>>> >>>>Dale Stewart >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>>
Reply to
Dale Stewart

You acted like an asshole from your very first email. Servo magazine should give you a full refund including issues recieved[1], set up a block so that they never accept any subscription request using your credit card or delivered to your address, block all email your email address, and return any snail mail you send unopened.

You have been SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS, using! mutiple!! exclaimation!!! points!!!!, threatening to badmouth them on the web and Usenet, calling them names, and demanding that your issue be brought before the board of directors. Perhaps becoming an ex-customer will teach you that this is not an effective way to resolve customer service issues.

Note [1]: They may not be able to give you that refund, because they don't have a record of it and because you refuse to provide the info.

Reply to
invalid

I haven't sent any complaints, but Nuts N' Volts magazine sent me only 4 issues of a 1 year subscription. They keep telling me to "call the Post Office".

Rich

Reply to
aiiadict

You must read his emails in the correct order which in this case is bottom to top.

Now, the only place that I see he screwed up is when they asked him for a certain number starting with a V something on his address label where the magazine itself was mailed to him, he answered back that the particular number was never sent to him in email. That was an easy enough mistake to make considering he was blazing mad at them already and obviously misread the instructions.

They on the other hand should be the ones to take responsibility for the problem and try harder to resolve it. This is something that "Customer Service" departments here in the US and now across the globe are mot encouraged to do, since the loss of one customer to a company that services several thousand per day, is considered an "Acceptable Loss Margin". Just another example of the general lack of respect we foster towards each other nowadays.

Remember that thing your grandfather always shouted about..."The customer is always right..." Well after having worked in the customer service field for a decade and a half now, I find that more often than not it is correct. Even the customer who is actively trying to screw your company, usually is doing it because of some wrong he/she perceives as having been done to them. It is usually a mistake in communications or bookkeeping or both that leads people to this end.

Generally a calm head that has been paying attention to the details can find out the true nature of the problem, satisfy the customer and hopefully arrange matters so that it doesn't happen again.

I will now climb off of my soapbox and slink away quietly to my little corner where I spend most of my time laughing at people like you.

Elj> Dale Stewart wrote:

Reply to
Eljin

Here is the confirmation email from Servo. If it is studied, it does not contain any subscription number, which complicated matters. This gives evidence of one problem with the system used.

I suggest you read my post again and note that the first email is after

3 months and quite a few emails ( there were more than I actually posted) and much frustration on my part. It is a customer's right to complain when they are not happy.

It is the company's responsibility to ensure there are adequate systems in place that make the employees job easier and effective. By raising issues to the board of directors, or senior management, things hopefully are more likely to change, rather than being ignored by indifferent or incompetent employees, or being "swept under the carpet". I also had problems with orders with NutsnVolts - a T&L Publications company, which is the same as associated with Servo. So clearly there are inadequate systems that need to be analysed and addressed.

A person also has the right to publish their concerns freely in public forums. This is a principle in my country and in those that prize liberty.

I believe I have not used any rude, abusive or vulgar language - unlike you.

:-]

Cheers

Dale Stewart

Reply to
Dale Stewart

By the way, they did not send the February issue as I had requested ( near the bottom ). This is ANOTHER scew-up with T&L Publications system ( capitals intended ).

I rest my case.

: -]

Cheers

Dale Stewart

Shipping Information First Name: DALE Last Name: STEWART Company: Address: Address 2: City: State/Province: None Postal Code: 2529 Country: Australia Phone Number: Fax Number: Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au

Billing Information First Name: DALE Last Name: STEWART Address: Address 2: City: State/Province: None Postal Code: Country: Australia Phone Number: Fax Number: Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au Name on Card: DALE STEWART Card Type: Visa Card Number: ************ Expiration Month: Year: 06

Subscription Information Term: Forgein-1 42.95 Type: New Subscription Subscriber Number: [ SCREW UP ] Comments: Please include the February issue and bill me extra. I authorize such amount.

[ SCREW UP ]

Thanks

Dale

Reply to
Dale Stewart

Dale Stewart wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@dnews.tpgi.com.au:

Well heck, now you got me worried, since I just subscribed.

Thanks a lot, geez.

Joe

Reply to
joecoin

Had the same thing happen , ended up subscribing to both Nuts and Volts and Servo mags though. Maybe its something about Australian subscriptions ?

Are they offering an electronic edition yet(like circuitcellar) ?

Circuitcellar is another very good one.

to get a free subscriotion for all engineering society members at uni that wanted one.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson