Form Tap M8 x 1.25 RPM?

I'm looking to se up a customer performing a roll form tap operation on M8 x 1.25" holes.
CRS, 0.300" thick.
I'd love to know the RPMs you would run for a conservative process, minimal coolant (not flood), etc.
My conservative number for a cut tap would be around 300-400 RPM. I'm guessing a roll form tap runs slightly different numbers (HSS tooling).
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 x113 01.908.542.0244 Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: http://www.AutoDrill.com Multiple Spindle Drills: http://www.Multi-Drill.com Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com / VIDEOS:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
V8013-R

Personally I'd run at 175-200 rpm. with an L tapdrill (0.290) or maybe an M (0.295)

I'm actually looking for the RPM for the tap process, not the drilling process.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

That was tap RPM, I have found in general that roll tapping steel is a bit slower that cut tapping,but thats just me and I'm generally cautious . The TD was just in case

Gotcha. Thank you. I was wondering why the slow RPM on drilling. :)
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

FWIW, that seems reasonable to me, ~15 SFM.
What kind of quantity?

So essentially, form tapping runs at a slowr RPM than a cut tap process?
As far as quantity... The end user will probably tap 1500 holes per day across a fixture of three machines - or 500 holes per day per machine.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

It's been a while (years) since I've used them, but IIRC not necessarily.
This may be helpful: http://www.balax.com/catalog/technical-information

That's alot of holes, _to me_. I'd maybe get a manufacturers rep. to to provide some assistance.

Working on that actually... But the customer doesn't know what manufacturer they are going with yet for the tooling.
I told him to choose the type (HSS) and then I could at least choose a motor and gear reducer for my machine... Fine tuning the RPM is simple after that, but only if I have a number to start with can I get to that point.
Open to more answers, but happy with the ones I've received. Thank you.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Joe, The OSG site doesn't differentiate between roll or cut for speeds:
http://www.osgtool.com/Technical.asp?tid=1&id=3
They recommend 25-50 SFM for 1018, so 25 SFM is about 300 RPM and 50 SFM is about 600RPM
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Guess I'm more conservative than you. Fscking lefties. ;-)
Kelly D. Grills wrote:

What's with the trash talk, I give an on topic response and you come back with that?
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Sorry, guess there's no context there. The original post asked for a conservative spindle speed, I said ~15 SFM in an earlier follow up.
My comment was in fun, please don't take it any other way.

The internet needs a universal "smiley" for humor and sarcasm in the same sentence, maybe "TIC" "Toungue in cheek"
Anywhoo, a form tap needs some rpm to roll the thread, my experience has been to run at the upper edge of the recommendations. Also, a good coating would help in the limited lube environment you referred to in your o.p., either Tin or Tialn would give you great tool life and produce a good quality thread.
"D"

Site Timeline