What is a "audio jack outlet" called?

My CNC probe has a "audio jack" interface, meaning that it is supposed to be plugged in into a audio jack receptacle, like on PCs, laptops and MP3 players, same type of outlet as used for headphones.

I would like to install a proper "through hull" outlet, but I am not sure how such things are called. I am sure that it is a dime a dozen item.

Again, what I want is a female audio receptacle that mounts on a flat panel.

Thanks

Ignoramus24925
1/4" mono 1/4" stereo 1/8" mono 1/8" stereo

Female 1/4" mono Female 1/4" stereo Female 1/8" mono Female 1/8" stereo

...I think

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Bulkhead/panel mount headphone jack, 2.5 or 3.5mm, tip-sleeve (mono) or tip-ring-sleeve (TRS) (stereo), or there's TRRS sometimes too (e.g. iPhone headsets). FYI, jack == female, plug == male, in case you get confused.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Thanks, I found this digikey item: CP1-3533-ND.

I appreciate it.

Ignoramus24925

Lots of choices, stereo/mono, 3/32", 1/8", 1/4", RCA. In any case, you're looking for a panel-mount jack, with or without a switch. Quite common, check Radio Shack's site first, then there's Digi-Key and Mouser. A couple of bucks at the most, shipping will kill you on onesies. Or you can scrounge one from a dead transistor radio.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

You mean a 3.5mm TRS jack? like this ?

Stereo or mono are both available at most electronics supply places. Radio Shack has them in panel mount in the parts bin near the tools/soldering supplies.

Reply to
Steve W.

Stan, I am buying some other stuff for my CNC mill on digikey, anyway, so I might as well get this. Thanks a lot.

Ignoramus24925

That is a stereo phone jack ("female") with 1/8" (3.5mm) TRS connector.

Jay Ts

Reply to
Jay Ts

To hijack this topic and kill it in my own special way...

This is one thing in electronics that has always annoyed and confused me: what is a "jack"? I've even heard the terms "male jack" and "female jack" (wouldn't that be a "jill"?). Isn't there a better, more descriptive, less confusing set of terms to describe these connectors? Would "plug" (male) and "socket" (female) be any better? Not that this will keep me up nights...

Reply to
lektric.dan

In the electronics world, they are "boys" and "girls".

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

The plug is male, the jack (jackie?) is female. Socket or receptacle are synonyms. And there are those that swing both ways:

for both AC and DC.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Radio Shack should have an octopus cable with one of each size, to identify yours.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Never heard of a "male jack", that would be a "plug". Also have never seen "female jack", redundant. "Female connector" or "receptacle", sure. Jack always implies a female connector. Also used as a verb, "to jack in a headphone". Phone switchboards were probably the first large-scale users of jacks and plugs, might be the original of the terms come from that arena in the distant past.

Where it gets fun is where a connector has a recess, but the contacts are pins sticking up and the mate fits the recess but has otherwise female sockets for the pins. The convention is that the recessed piece is the female of the pair and the other part is the male plug, but it could be argued for the reverse.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Oh, yeah. Molex connectors are an example of this. The plastic portion can be male or female, and the metal parts (pins/sockets) can be put in either gender plastic piece.

Reply to
lektric.dan

Reply to
John Fields

Amphenol (sp?) as well.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

How do you identify blind-mate connectors on removeable modules? Both sides mount in a panel.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I "see" a joke in there somewhere.

Reply to
Jamie

Sounds like a standard male receptacle used for on board chargers on fire equipment and shore lines on boats.

Reply to
Steve W.

Good info.

I have an AT NIC card and driver for Dos - CNC machines

I have a modern PCI bus NIC card - motherboard has one - don't need NIC.

In fact the tower was RF connected and the NIC was never used.

Trade or sale.

Mart> Bulkhead/panel mount headphone jack, 2.5 or 3.5mm, tip-sleeve (mono) or

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn