Drilling Square Holes in Roll Formed Aluminum

Okay... So now that I've got your attention, here is what my customer is looking to do:
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques/drilling-boring/how-a-mortiser-drills-square-holes /
...Except that these tools are only made for wood as far as I know.
Does anyone know if such a device exists for metalworking - specifically for working a 1/8" thick aluminum product in the shape of a square tube?
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 x113 01.908.542.0244 Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: http://www.AutoDrill.com Multiple Spindle Drills: http://www.Multi-Drill.com Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com / VIDEOS:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
V8013-R
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques/drilling-boring/how-a-mortiser-drills-square-holes /
There is in fact a device for drilling square holes in metal . Can't remember what it's called , but basically the bit is on a floating drive system that lets it orbit in a guide - square , triangular , or other shape guides are available IIRC . You will get corners raduised at the drill bit size ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Seems I recall a triangular cutter of some kind for cutting square holes. Sorry, don't remember where or when or what it was called, but it was pretty cool.
On 8/22/2011 11:37 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

Yep, It's called rotary broaching.
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques/drilling-boring/how-a-mortiser-drills-square-holes /
"Rotary broaching".

Rotary broaching requires the part to rotate as well as the bit.
If that won't work, try looking up 'watts drill'.
Watts bros. as of 2008:
60 Airbrake Avenue, P.O. Box 335 Wilmerding, PA , 15148-1014 Phone: 412-823-7877 FAX: 412-823-4844
Dave
On 8/22/2011 1:18 PM, Dave__67 wrote:

Not anymore Dave.
http://www.rotarybroaching.net/rotarybroachmill.htm

Cool beans! hadn't seen that update.
Info on the Watts bits have been in the dropbox since '08...
Pricey either of those 2 ways.
Dave

1. Can someone shoot me info on how to access the dropbox?
2. Cool beans! Dead nuts! ...All those sayings make me wonder where the heck they came from, but I'm well aware we have discussed them endlessly at times. <grin>
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 x113 01.908.542.0244 Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: http://www.AutoDrill.com Multiple Spindle Drills: http://www.Multi-Drill.com Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com / VIDEOS:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
V8013-R

    Check out <http://www.metalworking.com , and look for the "DROPBOX" click bar. Note that if this file is from 2008, it is likely to be in one of the "archive" subdirectories. And without a file name, you are at the mercy of recognizing what the uploader may have called the files.

    Someone needs to make a "machinist's phrases" dictionary web page. (Though "cool beans" may not be metalworking related -- just a local phrase from somewhere.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:18:28 -0700, Dave__67 wrote:

A "Vika" brand is mentioned in <
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qEhyQfbImY
although author says device shown is homemade. In following video, he uses it on drill press instead of lathe. <
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz3pDMP7IsE

--
jiw

Also look at wobble broaching. Same thing.
On 8/22/2011 09:50, Joe AutoDrill wrote:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques/drilling-boring/how-a-mortiser-drills-square-holes /

How big is the desired square hole? How many holes? For small quantities of holes, 1/8" aluminum can be knockout punched if you need a hi-spec hole, or (my preferred way) nibbled if the specs aren't so tight.
As for mass production, I'd like to go visit the factory where they make Unistrut someday.
Tim.

Tim,
Hole is approximately 1/2" to 3/4" across (square).
Mass production. Thousands of holes per day are desired.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

For that scale it sure sounds like a job for punching, unless there is a *really* good reason punching won't work. It would be *way* cheaper and faster than rotary broaching.

To punch, the end user has to use an insert to support their "tube" and the tube is neither capable of receiving the insert (die?) or modifiable. Without the insert, the tube simply deforms under the press operation.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Did you specify the corner radius? If so, I missed it.
I assume that someone brought up the Slater rotary broach, right?
--
Ed Huntress

No. ...Because they have not done so yet. If they can find the tool that works, I sell the tool that drives their... Well... New tool.

If it's the wobble / shake / rock-n-roll broach thing, yes.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Yeah, that's it. I don't know what they do when you can't rotate the workpiece, but my understanding is that they have a solution for that.
Otherwise, if the radius will allow it, the best thing I can think of is milling. I might consider horizontal milling with a short cylindrical cutter, but that probably would cause some awful burr problems.
A final possibility is drilling a round hole and then going in with a corner pull broach -- one tooth -- after slapping on an external fixture that will hold the aluminum tube down but which would allow room for the pull-broach cutter. But that's custom tooling.
--
Ed Huntress

> --
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Are they doing the roll forming? Can they punch before roll forming?