ground fault

the 220 volt pressure washer quit...
ground fault unit would not reset at all. Couldn't find anything else wrong. The dang thing is maintenance free, all potted in resin. So, I
cut it loose and got the washer running. No sign of trouble now.
How do I find the fault, or determine the ground fault unit itself failed? We often wash on wet concrete. The better half does most of the washing and its considered bad form to electrocute your honey.
Karl
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 09:44:10 -0500, Karl Townsend

Replace the gfi. If it tests and resets, then trips under use, you can look for the fault. If not, it was probably the gfi.
Pete Keillor
Pete Keillor wrote:

Note the "220 volt", it's not a simple $15 GFCI receptacle.
Measure ground current with a good DMM. Start with a clamp probe to ensure no large current, then if good, put the ground on the series amp connections of the DMM to measure low level current. GFCI supposed to trip at something like 5mA.

Pete, maybe I misunderstand how ground fault works. Do I just look for micro currents in the ground wire? Seems to me you could still have a fault that exits through the machine frame and not see anything in a ground wire test. After all if the ground wire is taking up any fault, the operator won't get a shock.
Karl
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:45:12 -0500, Karl Townsend

Folow up. It would makes sence to me to put the washer on a rubber mat and force any stray currents through my ground wire. Am I seeing it right?
Karl
Karl Townsend wrote:

Yes.

The high pressure hose might be wire-reinforced and provide an alternate path to ground.

The ground fault unit is bad. Right now I'm searching for another that goes in an extention/electric cord. No joy so far.
Karl
Karl Townsend wrote:

A 240V cord mounted GFCI unit will be pretty obscure. Try the manufacturer of the PW unit, or look to a GFCI unit intended for a spa.
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 17:19:15 -0500, Karl Townsend

Put the $60 one in a box with a receptacle and plug. Use inline with your existing cord.
http://www.google.com/search?q "0v+gfi Leviton
-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson
On 8/22/2011 6:44 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Especially if it's revealed you disabled a safety device... Hope you find the problem and fix it!
Jon

Does the ground fault trip with no load on it at all?
If it does not, it means the washer is leaking to ground. That means
a) It wants to kill you. b) It's going to die soon anyhow; as the moter is shorting to ground.
You can bypass the GFI to get a) and b), if you live long enough.