Saving

Does anyone know if there is a way to set the config.pro to do an
incremental save? Purely to stop loss of info when Wildfire crashes!
Any ideas will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Andrea
Reply to
Andrea Willans
Mmmm, no I don't know about the config option.. I've seen AutoSaves in other CAD systems and they usually get in your way... but in Pro/E there are trail files created for everything (it's a listing of every operation you do)... Isn't there a way to re-run from the last save using the trail file? Sure, I'll bet that PTC says it's officially unsupported, but it's there...
Works great in Independent Mechanica... at least it used to in 2000i -D
Andrea Willans wrote:
Reply to
meld_b
: Does anyone know if there is a way to set the config.pro to do an : incremental save? Purely to stop loss of info when Wildfire crashes! : Any ideas will be much appreciated. : Thanks : Andrea : : Andrea, try setting the config.pro option regen_backup_using_disk to yes, then giving it a directory for regen_backup_directory. This creates a backup file anytime you create, modify or redefine a feature which requires a part regeneration. I believe this is a scratch file and will be deleted when the part regenerates successfully. It is the backup in memory to which you return on a regen failure when you indicate to 'Undo changes' as the failure response. Remaining in memory, this would be lost with a crash, but if saved to disk, might be available if it crashed in the middle of a regen or with a regen failure. There is no timed, incremental save as Pro/e knows nothing about backup files. It simply creates a new, numbered version (ab.prt.1, ab.prt.2, ....3, .....100) each time you save, shamelessly eating up precious hd realestate and creating small file management nightmares in the process. Crashes exaggerate this process because the typical response is to save frequently, often after any major part revision. It also knows nothing about 'Undo' which would require saving changes in the file instead spreading them all over the harddrive. So, for example, if you delete a feature, it is gone, no 'Undo' to get it back.
David Janes
Reply to
David Janes
Thanks David, One good point about this absence is that if you do delete and then want it back you can just shut the programme and reopen or revert to an older version and the deleted feature/part is still there. Andrea
Reply to
Andrea Willans
: if you do delete and then want it : back you can just shut the programme and reopen or revert to an older : version and the deleted feature/part is still there.
True, Pro/e is the capital of the Kingdom of Workaround, with back doors and mazes everywhere!
Reply to
David Janes
Actually, you don't need to shut Pro/E down to revert to the previous version. If you are in part mode, click on 'File', 'Erase', 'Current', and Pro/E will erase your current model from screen and RAM. Then just re-open it, and voila! Your part is back in the last-saved configuration. In assembly mode, the same procedure applies if you want to re-open the whole assembly in the last-saved configuration. If you want to roll back just a few parts, suppress them, then click 'File', 'Erase', 'Not Displayed'. All suppressed files (and all other files you've opened in this session and then closed their respective windows) will be erased from RAM. Unsuppress the parts, and they will be retrieved from disk in their last-saved configurations. By the way, I strongly disagree with David James's take on Pro/E's backup method (i.e., creating numbered part files every time you save). IMO, it beats, say, SolidWorks's way (overwriting old version on every save and creating a backup copy of a previous version in the backup directory - which, essentially, limits you to two most recent versions of your design at any given time) hands down. I can't count the number of occasions when this feature saved me bundles of time by allowing me to go several part versions back. -- Alex Shishkin

Alex Sh.
Can't you run the trail file and get back most if not all of the work done?
Reply to
Leo Weeks
Top Ten Reasons Not to use Trail Files: 10. You haven't the foggiest idea what a trail file is or where to find it or what to do with it. (maybe that ought to be #1) 9. Your Sysadmin yelled at you once for even invoking the sacred screed of 'Trailll Fiiillllles' (echo echo echo) 8. Your Sysadmin hides and locks the trail files so you iggorant plebs can't touch them. 7. You 'acquired' a backdoor past the Sysadmin and tried a trail file once, but nothing happened. 6. Pro/e documentation issues vaguely threatening warnings about crashes if you 'improperly' use trail files. 5. Rumor has it that they will be discontinued in Wildfire II. 4. A guy tried to give a presentation with a trail file and had to sit down, defeated and humiliated, mumbling about 'It worked at the office' 3. The article you read where a PTC official was quoted as saying "it seemed like a really good idea, at the time". 2. It recorded everything you did in Pro/e for the last 7 hours. 1. It stopped with your crash and will unfailingly repeat it (if it gets that far)
: Can't you run the trail file and get back most if not all of the work done? :
: > Does anyone know if there is a way to set the config.pro to do an : > incremental save? Purely to stop loss of info when Wildfire crashes! : > Any ideas will be much appreciated. : > Thanks : > Andrea : > : > : :
Reply to
David Janes
Boy you make trail files sound all foggy and impossible. They just take some careful editing before they'll work. The biggest hassle, IMO is making certain the files/directories are exactly as they were when the trail file was begun.
Dave
Reply to
David Geesaman
David, David, David
I have never heard of system admin hiding trail files. I have used them successfully over the years. Maybe the ignorant plebe you speak of is you. If you know what you are doing it is a useful tool that can save your ass in a pinch. I think we all know about computer and software problems when there is a deadline. As far as the rumor those of use that know what we are going will prey that its just a foolish rumor.
If you think about it, running trail files are just like any other feature in ProE. Its hard until someone shows you how to do it the first time.
John
Reply to
John Morrison
Wow, I hope I didn't open Pandora's Box with that statement??? Sorry.
Reply to
Leo Weeks
We'll let it slide.... this time.
Remember, only speak of the 't' files in hushed tones with monklike devoutness and care. haha
Dave
Reply to
David Geesaman
It's okay, Leo, just passionate, earnest people discussing things they feel deeply about. {Just wish it was worth the fuss.} Hey, can ya bring me another beer. Bass Ale, of course, won't drink anything else.
DJ
[...]
I've only used "t" files twice, but they did save me alot of time. But then again, I rarely crash.
Reply to
Leo Weeks
Bass Ale, don't you mean flavored water... How about a Captain and Vernors or 7&7.
Reply to
Leo Weeks
NO, NO not the 5-letter C-word!!!!
Dave