Millermatic 175

Anyone tried aluminum with a Millermatic 175? I need some info if you have.
I will be putting together some 16 guage sheet and some .065 square
tubing...both aluminum of course. Any info would be appreciated as far as do
I need a special liner, settings to start at. I know there will be a
learning curve but I am trying to cheat just a little with you help.
Thanks all,
Jess
Reply to
Jess
I was told it may not be cost affective to add the composites for Alum. You will need a spool gun. They say you can not push Alum 10' though the liner.
Don D.
Reply to
Don D.
I have this machine and thought I might try gently pushing some Al .030 wire through the unit - took the tip off so I could see it coming out immediately. Everything was going well until I put the tip back on to finish the feed. The wire kinked inside the unit at the feed roller and then broke off in the liner when I tried to pull it out. I thought I'd have to end up getting a new liner. Its been said you can do this with a nylon liner, and keeping the gun hose straight, but after seeing how soft the AL MIG wire is, seems like a long shot. A spool gun is likely the only way to go. Good luck.
John
Reply to
Doctor John
You just need the "right" alum wire and a bottle of argon. A new standard liner or blow out out the old one with compressed air. I built a alum framed go-kart for the grandkids. NO I did not use a $500 spool gun, just my Miller 175. Lots of info on Net on welding alum. B.G.
Doctor John wrote:
Reply to
MachineShop
Please let me know what the "right" wire is. My attempt was a disaster.
John
Reply to
Doctor John
If you are pushing aluminum wire through a standard MIG gun use 5356 wire. It is harder and more resistant to bird-nesting in the feeder.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
I too have the MM175 and have been told by a local welding supplier up in Everett that with it I can weld AL with 5356 and the teflon (I think that's what he said) liner. I also have an 16' aluminum boat that I want to customize with pole holders, downrigger mounts, etc.
-Ryan
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
appreciated as
Reply to
ryanw59
I use my MM175 for aluminum ocasionally. I use the 5356 in .035 and get ok results. Seems like I have to crank things up and move along at a pretty quick pace to get a decent weld. The 4043 just made a mess. I use the liner etc. that came with it new with a new tip and cone that I keep seperate for aluminum only. You need to keep the wire sticking out about 1/2" or more as it tends to want to melt and stick to the tip if you get too close. At its best it is fiddly and at it's worst d@#n frustrating :) YMMV Glenn
Reply to
Glenn