Version conversion utility ?

Anyone ever heard of a SolidWorks version conversion utility - something to make our files backwards compatable for our customers running older versions of SolidWorks ?

We run 2007, and some of our customers are still running 2006 and can't open our files.

Thanks in advance - Sean

Reply to
What-a-Tool

that animal does not exist. if it did, there are quite a few of us that would really enjoy the wonders of a truly beautiful day.

bob z. p.s. they had training. i have google.

Reply to
bob zee

Thats what I figured - doesn't hurt to hope though - Thanks - Sean

Reply to
What-a-Tool

Sean,

Something to consider when upgrading (or down grading as the case may be)

Our regular clients usually follow our lead, they upgrade when we tell them it's OK. Occaisionally well get a new client that's using a newer version.

There's always an interim period when we run both versions, for exactly the situation you find yourself in. I would install 2006 and run them side by side for awhile. Your customer may have good reasons to be running 2006. You don't want to force their hand, bad P.R.

Mark

Reply to
MM

Another suggestion is to just keep all the versions of solidworks. I wouldn't keep more than two on one machine though, but maybe dedicate a couple of older machines to run lower versions of SolidWorks. You still have your down-version disks, right? I think most of the world that has been keeping their maintenance current is prolly at least running 2005, so maybe it's not a bad idea to have one system with 2005 and 2006 on it. Then in a few of years, add one system with 2007 and

2008 (when you upgrade to 2009). One of the beauties of this is that you'll never need to upgrade the computers that are dedicated to the older versions once you have them running...and also there's no new cost because presumably, these computers are dinosaurs that you are replacing in order to run the newer versions of S/W, so you'll have no new costs.

Matt

MM wrote:

Reply to
fcsuper

Sean,

The Conversion Utility does NOT serve the purpose you are hoping for and SolidWorks (native) files aren't backwards compatible with feature history in place. The way to send files to an earlier version is just as "dumb" solids via Parasolids translations, for example. Sending drawing files backwards requires DXF translation, for example, and associations are lost.

The Conversion Utility can be run (on a single file or a batch) to convert their data to the NEWER version of SolidWorks. (The purpose is to avoid having the translation occur during the time files are opened for first use in the newer version.)

I've heard it recommended that all legacy files be c> Anyone ever heard of a SolidWorks version conversion utility -

Reply to
POH

POH,

To agree with you, my VAR suggests not to run the upgrading conversion utility. I asked once and got a "Tssss, why do you want to do that?" :)

Matt

POH wrote:

Reply to
fcsuper

Over on the Solidworks website forums, someone mentioned this to me (I didn't follow up):

Yeah, I th> Anyone ever heard of a SolidWorks version conversion utility -

Reply to
peter4nancy

Yeah- its really irritating. Its not like they re-engineer the entire program each time Solidworks comes out. I wish that the new features in

2007 for example would just be greyed out when a 2007 files are opened up in 2006. That way your entire file is not wasted and at least some part of your file can be re-used. I am sure that Extrude function has not changed dramatically in the last year.
Reply to
parel