Opening higher version or saving to a lower?

Hi, Is it possible to save a Solidworks file from 2006 so it can open in 2005? Or is there a way to open a higher version to a lower version?

Reply to
Raphel

Nope. You can save it out as Parasolid, then import it in the older version. If you have FeatureWorks, you can try to work your way back to the original feature tree, but any part with any complexity can be a real nightmare.

The funny (in a very painful sort of way) thing is that SolidWorks provides a program for AutoCAD users that allows them to move drawings from newer to older versions, but won't do the same for us. The optimists say it's because it's so hard to move 3D models from new to old (how do you handle new capabilities?). The cynical say that our support dollars are providing the lovely profits (and lovely bonuses for executives) so it would be very painful if many of us stopped paying support.

Jerry Steiger

I can see the point of view from the optimist and the cynic. From an economics point of view the great part is that it may not matter who is correct.

On one hand: A good thing is that for simple models, parasolid works great and it may not be worth the extra $$ to pay for a SW upgrade if one is working on simple products. So you can save money by not upgrading.

On the other hand: If one must read in complex models, one is most likely manufacturing or consulting on complex products that need the newest version of SW to read the files natively. $4k should be a drop in the bucket for companies working on such products.

It's a win-win! (that's the optimist in me speaking).

Reply to
haulin79

Yeah, this is an OLD subject. One that has bitten me a few times because I don't usually upgrade immediately with new releases. But you know there is something that I have never understood....

We have a seat of Esprit CAM software. It will open a SW file directly, even though it doesn't read any of the feature tree. How does it do this?!?! My suspicion is that there is parasolid data buried within the SW file itself. If so, it seems like an old version of SW should be able to open up a newer SW file directly also, without having to do any conversions also.

The way they have it now, if you are using SW2005, and get a SW2006 file, it will not open, no way, nadda. You have to get the person that gave you the file, and that is using SW2006 to EXPORT it for you. This is where I think they ought to make it possible to open directly, just as a parasolid without features. The same way our Esprit software does. If they can do it, SW themselves should be able to!

I can see the point about not being able to open SW files directly with the feature tree due to newer features and such. But it seems a lot more possible to be able to do it directly AS a parasolid.

Reply to
Seth Renigar

Did you know that Esprit 2005 will not open a SW2006 file? It gives a version error! So there is some sort of SW data inside Esprit that needs current data to be able to open the newst files.

My opinion on the whole situations is this, each year SW adds new features, and changes old ones. Im glad they dont take the the time to make sure the new stuff will work in older versions. I want them concentrating on the future, not the past. As for the DWG editor being able to save backwards, we are talking about simplistic 2D drawings, not 3D solids. If SW were doing this to keep people paying upgrade costs so they can make more money, why dont they issue a hardware key for every seat to cut down on the piracy?

I chuckle everytime I read someones post that they wait untill service pack 1,987 comes out before they upgrade. The technology is changing so fast around us, you have to stay on the cutting edge, or you will get run over. I normally participate in the beta testing, so I start playing around with the new version before its even released. By mid summer im using it for minor production work. When the new version is officially released, its installed within a week of us getting it. The only issue we ever have is with our customers. I let them know that if im sending them stuff, they will be getting parasolids, and not native SW files. This is ok with them, because they understand that we are staying ahead of the curve, and it usually forces their management to agree to upgrades.

Think about it, the Model T car was functional, arent you glad that cars have evolved though?

Reply to
SoCalMike

If I had one, and I wasn't afraid to mess it up, I would drive one of these regularly, for the most part! Call me strange... : )

As for the Esprit05 opening a SW06 file, I honestly did not know this. I think it is a parasolid version problem, not the actual SW version.

I still think Esprit's ability to do this (with correct versions) is strictly based on parasolid instead of SW data though. With that being said, I think SW could somehow utilize the same method for opening future version files. I don't know what it would take to do this though.

But I'm dumb (or so my wife insinuates anyway), what do I know...

Reply to
Seth Renigar

You get run over if you try to stay on the cutting edge too. Constantly retraining.

Reply to
TOP