Photoworks Lighting Tips

Hello,

I've recently started using teh Photoworks add on to render some parts I created as it seemed a little less daunting than 3DS Max and I thought it would be quicker to pick up.

I'm looking for some advice for lighting and scene set-ups though. I just want a simple white background with the part sitting on the surface and some shadows cast onto the same surface. Just nice and simple.

If anyone has any tips or advice, I would be extremely grateful.

Cheers.

Reply to
skyap

Lock the lights to your model and arrange them in a traditional 3-point lighting setup (key light, fill light, and rim/back light). Give each one a very slight tint to give the impression of interdiffuse lighting.

Also, for what's called a "matte" material in 3dsmax, is referred to as the studio material in PW. I think you can change a plain white plastic material to it by selecting the material type dropdown in the illumination tab. I've used this to add composited shadows to background photos. NOTE, however, that your ground plane will show up brighter than your background image if using global illumination or indirect lighting, so turn those advanced options off and use fill lights to compensate.

Reply to
deimos

Just use one of the pre-defined Photoworks Studios for this (from the Wizard).

By far the easiest method. Don't forget to apply materials correctly.

Reply to
Fye