Autocad "Lite"

I remember a couple years back seeing an inexpensive version of Autocad that was for hobbyists and stuff. I think it was like $100 or maybe 79.99 Does
anyone know the name of this edition or if it's still available?
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID 3112&id$98418
AutoCAD LT
Just guessing, but it's more like $500 - $750
RobbieB wrote:

In a previous post Weird wrote...

Cost is $899 for a CD or $879 for download
http://tinyurl.com/g2bnb
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Bob Morrison wrote:

In a previous post JG wrote...

Full Disclosure: I'm VP of the Visualcadd Users Group.
IMHO, the best damn 2D drafting program on the market for the money. It's easy to learn, doesn't require huge amounts of system resources (I have a copy running on a Pentium II - 166 with 256K ram), and doesn't cost very much for the program. List price is $395 for download and $450 for CD
If you have a copy of Generic Cadd or Autocad LT you can buy an "upgrade" to VCadd for as little as $109.95
Go here for more info: http://www.tritools.com/default.htm
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Bob Morrison wrote:

In a previous post JG wrote...

VCadd is now in capable hands -- Tritools Partners. All the partners are also users. DWG compatibility is much better, but Autodesk makes the DWG format a moving target so VCadd isn't the only cadd program with file compatibility issues. VCadd is now at version 5 and version 6 is being worked on. The program is now way better than the IMSI version (version 3).
The dimensions still don't rotate with the drawing, but we now have Reference Frames (X-refs) which make assembling a drawing easier. They can be used as a form of paperspace.
Probable the the thing I like the most about VCadd is that I can produce an usable drawing in half the time as most people who use Autocad. The program is that easy to use. And one other thing is I'm not giving huge amounts of money to a company (Autodesk) that doesn't care about its customers (but that is a topic for another day).
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Bob Morrison wrote:

In a previous post JG wrote...

VCadd typically saves the multiple drawings as separate files with Reference Frames (X-Refs) to the "Model" drawing. This is one of the items that will get some work in Version 6 as it still does not function as well as it should. Again, the DWG format is a moving target. VCadd uses the OPENDWG paradigm as the basis for file conversion, but as long as Autodesk keeps changing the format then no other cadd software will be fully compatible.
Architectural Desktop is a problem for all non-Autodesk cadd products and as far as I've been able to tell even older versions of Autocad won't properly open these files either. The format is not backward compatible, which in my mind is poor software design. Not to mention As far as I know the current version of Autocad won't even open some older versions of their own DWG format. Autodesk forces you to keep buying new versions at inflated prices. Not very consumer friendly. Sheesh! now you got me started (and I promised not to!).
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

might also require the collapse of the US government 'as we know it'.
http://www.opensecrets.org/newsletter/ce74/cashcow.asp
Cheaper version was Auto Sketch. Started out as a freebie on front of magazines to tempt us all into the world of Cadd (didnt do a bad job did it)
When you're kidding around you should use smileys, or else people will think you are serious.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
(Mike Harrison) wrote:

It's bad enough now, with the EU Commission telling us when to breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out...
(:-((
Brian.
I fully understand. My problem stays, unfortunately, with the fact that I am stuck with dealing with architects (and engineers) who use Autocad. If I can't read their files I am stuck. If they can't incorporate my drawings in theirs, they get p.o.'d. They pay for the high end program blindly because 1) they already know it (taught in college) and 2) they can hire tech school grads who already know how to use it.
I have played with Intellicad, but found it to be comparatively buggy, but at least they could open 2004 files and the files when read by autocad were not screwed up with missing hatches etc. The major idiosyncracy on the version I tried (other than continuous lockups and crashes) was the inability to handle complex linetypes. Visual Cadd dwg files did not look right when viewed in Autocad, and vice versa. But you could get work done since it was stable.
Bob Morrison wrote:

In a previous post JG wrote...

The hatch and block translation problems of earlier versions of VCadd have been worked. It still won't do complex linetypes (and may never do so). The program is not for everyone, but for those who have pretty simple drafting needs it works very well.
BTW, I've not had any recent complaints (since V5 was introduced) from architects who get the DWG files I export from VCadd.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

In a previous post CHARLES FLEMING wrote...

Chuck:
I agree. If the layers are properly named in the first place then it is not too difficult to get the proper layers displayed.
About 75% of the time I get DWG files that are a mess when it comes to layer names and objects on those layers.
There is no excuse for a 3 story building to only have 7 or 8 layers with furniture and walls on the same layer. That's just sloppy workmanship.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
CHARLES FLEMING wrote: