Kurtsite

Does anyone know anything about the metal Kurtsite (i think thats how its spelled). Aparently its an alloy of lead, aluminum and, zinc. Its is very wear resistant, and yet still quite slippery.

I've been told that this metal was used frequently many years ago, but is hard to find today.

Does anyone know where i can get some?

Thanks

Reply to
Brent

Brent:

According to my old Woldman's Enginnering Alloys book, Kirksite is a zinc alloy containing nominally 3.5% copper, 4% aluminum, 0.04% magnesium.

See Eastern Alloys,

also try Google under mold-base alloys

Also see

Pittsburgh Pete

Reply to
Pittsburgh Pete

Never heard of it by that name.

In the twenties there were a bunch of zinc-based bearing alloys. They seemed to work well, but like the early die-casting alloys they suffered from impurites between the grains (lead being one culprit) and disintegrated after a few years. As a result, they fell from favour.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's spelled Kirksite and is common material for making molds. Google: Results 1 - 10 of about 666 for kirksite. (0.07 seconds)

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Already answered back on Oct 13th. To add a bit more, there is an MSDS sheet

the composition as Zn with 3.9 to 4.3%Al, and 3.0 to 3.5%Cu.

The copper content is a bit higher than the 2.5 to 3.0% for the "No.2" die casting alloy, aka AC43A or UNS Z35541, which may also loosely be referred to as Kirksite by some.

Pittsburgh Pete

Note: It is understood that this material is intended for general information only and should not be used in relation to any specific application without independent examination and verification of its applicability and suitability by professionally qualified personnel. Those making use thereof or relying thereon assume all risk and liability arising from such use or reliance.

We don't believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Don't worry, be happy.

Reply to
Pittsburgh Pete