Two versions of Solidworks

Does anyone here know why I cannot install two versions of Solidworks on one computer. I was hoping to run version 2004 and version 2005 on
the same machine. The second installation will not even boot up properly, and the original version (2004) now runs with all kinds of error messages, where in the past it was running flawlessly. I did disable my virus protection as Solidworks warns, and I have had the same results on both of my machines, and a notebook. Someone help me on this please.... I am using Windows XP Corporate on both machines, with 1.5 GB RAM on each, my notebook is a Toshiba Sattellite, 1 GB RAM Thanks in advance, David Malloy
I am able to run 2004 and 2005. I have 2004 in a "SolidWorks 2004" dir, and 2005 in "SolidWorks 2005" dir. After installing 2005, it even recognizes my macro toolbars and addins from 2004.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You should be able to run two versions on one computer. I've done it several times. I assume you installed each version as a stand alone. The only difference I can see is that I'm running Windows XP Professional.
I would really appreciate it if you would let me know if you get a solution to your problem, as I have had the identical problem in the past. I am using XP Pro, and am unable to have more than one version on the same operating system without having tons of error messages and crashes. When I tried it with Windows 2000, it was totally impossible, it would crash at installation. With XP it is better, but still not worth it for all the problems that it causes and all the work I have lost as a result.
I run 2004, 2005 and 2006 on the same computer. As SW Monkey stated, you must install them in their own folders. You also must take care of where file locations are set to. If you start over-writing earlier version files with newer versions, the older version will of course not work properly.
I have had 2003 through 2006 installed simultaneously without a hitch. What is XP Corporate? Haven't heard of that one.
I too have had similar problems to yours, along with several of my classmates. We all use XP Professional in notebooks that we use both in class and at home. I believe that we installed properly, in that we installed the newer version to it's own folder. The only folder that cannot be controlled by installation is the shared or common folder which is automatically added to. We all decided to call Solidworks for help and they were fairly clear about "not recommending multiple installations", but were very nebulous in their explanation to it all. The representative gave me answers like "possible corruption of registry keys", and "dynamic link library files conflicting with both Windows system files, and Antivirus files", etc. In truth, I was more confused after the call than before. In all, the bottom line here, from our experience is that for all the problems that were caused as a result of two installations, the lockups, crashes,bad warning messages, etc, it simply was not worth the grief. Good luck to you, though
Erika Layne
System files are supposed to be 100% backward compatible and AV is supposed to be turned off during installs.