installing two versions

I tried to install another of the same version of acad 2004 on the same computer just so I could practice customizing autocad without messing up my
original but it would not install - it just asked me if I wanted to repair my old version - is there a way around this?
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 00:18:39 -0500, don wrote:

can you drive two cars at same time? i don't think so. you can not install same program on one partition twice (or more) so, make another partition, install OS on that partition and then programs you want to try out (be careful with that)

You cannot install two instances of the same version of any Autodesk product, at least as far as I am aware. You can install two different versions, say AutoCAD 2002 and AutoCAD 2004. But even that will sometimes cause problems depending on the product and which order they were installed in.

If you have the FULL version, you can create a Temporary Profile and do just what you want to...
Option --> Profiles
Regards,
BruceF

When you try to install the second time, no matter how many profiles you want to make, the second install will want to use the same registry entries in Windows as the first install. Even if you have other drives in your PC and direct the install to another drive there is only one registry. One or both of the installs will not work reliably, if at all. If you have AutoCAD 2004 and a newer version you can install them on the same PC because after version 2004 Autodesk did support two or more versions on the same computer.
Thanks for that info - I installed winxp twice and then was able to have two seperate versions of ACAD
wrote:

my
repair
Don,
I think you could just create another user account on your computer and login as that user to have a different profile. You should be able to create as many users as you want. This would be easier than booting into two versions of the OS.
If you are not part of a domain than you could use fast user switching and be logged in as two users at once and test customization on the secondary account.
Robert.