Problems with 2005 SP4

Am I alone? Most of the models that I opened since going to SP4 have numerous rebuild errors. They still open and rebuild fine on a computer with SP3.1

-Marc

Reply to
Marc Gibeault

I've seen false errors when opening a file from SolidWorks through the application in service pack 3.0. Try and double click the file from Windows Explorer and see if you get the errors still. My workaround for that situation.

JAY

Reply to
Jay

Use the SW conversion wizard, before opening the SW documents, this solves a lot of problems. You can use it on Pdmworks's vault also, if you have Pdmworks on a server or another machine just map the vault folder, then the conversion wizard will work. Warning!!! if you have a large vault, run the conversion wizard over night, remembering to disable your screen savers,power saving settings and disable hibernate.

Reply to
pete

Nearly forgot, stop the vault before running the conversion wizard!!!!!

Reply to
pete

Come on Pete! I'm only going from 2005 SP3.1 to 2005 SP4!!! Applying a service release shouldn't involve spending several days updating files through Conversion Wizard!

-Marc

Reply to
Marc Gibeault

I'm having the same problem in SP4.0, I can't get it to repeat reliably. If you can please RX it and send it in, it realy is a pain in the ---. It's bad enough dealing with real errors.

Reply to
John Layne

SP4.0 is presenting NO such problem here on multiple seats of SolidWorks.

I don't understand why anyone would see the need to use the conversion wizard on files when upgrading from SP3.1 to 4.0?

Frankly, I see no pressing need for running files through the conversion wizard - even when upgrading from one major version of SolidWorks to the next. The primary advantage with having all legacy files pre-converted by the wizard (prior to opening in the new version program) is that the conversion time is not spent while they are initially opened in SolidWorks.

I will say that it's often best to open legacy files in the new version and then save them (in their converted form) prior to beginning any extensive work with them; however, the conversion wizard isn't required for this and isn't absolutely necessary.

Over the years I have never had a problem with opening any legacy SolidWorks file with a newer version of the program, even after having skipped using the conversion wizard for numerous version upgrades (while certain native files have just sat idle and unconverted the whole time. I'm not saying there haven't been occasions when previously error-free files have become flagged with problems (due to new program code); however, such errors (in my view) are not related to having used the conversion wizard or not...

Per O. Hoel _________________

John Layne wrote:

Reply to
POH

Days!!! ?????? Wow you do have a slow system! My entire vault, (3 years 3 people's work), took just 5 hours 30 mins to convert. You asked for help and I gave you a possible answer, sorry you didn't like it, but hey, I am only trying to help you Yes I agree with you totally, that you should not have to run anything, to open the documents correctly on a new service pack. But then I think SW should work period, lol Sigh!, maybe one day it will! :-) If you find the answer to your problem, put a post on here to let the rest of us know, Thanks Pete Power to the people!

Reply to
pete

Mark,

It seems several people here don't know that files are backward compatible between service packs.

Are the files highly styled surfaced parts, or sheetmetal ???

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

I stopped the upgradesto SP4 after the first workstation. All the others will stay at 3.1 until a better SP comes out. Meanwhile my worstation won't do SolidWorks work unless it's very basic parts. I tried a rollback (supposed to be the advantage of Windows Installer) but that doesn't seem to work when it was installed from an administrative image. Too time consuming anyway... I'm tired of spending days every month supporting this software. SolidWorks, please don't release ANYTHING for a full year and then put out the most stable and bug-free CAD software that ever existed...please, please, please.

-Marc

Reply to
Marc Gibeault