Should I get this Bridgeport rotary table?

At a local used machine outlet.
http://www.mckeanmachinery.com/inventory/product-detail.php?item=BT1256

Nice looking table. iggy would buy it for $10.
Karl

I would even buy it for $30.
I have a smaller one for less.

Tom Gardner wrote:

Well, depends. Now that I have a CNC mill, I have sold my rotary table. Not much need for a flat rotary table, except maybe for really large parts that exceed the machine's travel, or if you mount it on its side as an A or B axis. There are better units for that purpose, like a dividing head.
If you don't have a way to accurately position the machine in two axes, then maybe there is still use for such a table.
Jon

I have a rotary table as a 4th axis, now. Definitely no need in a horizontal one.
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:42:58 -0500, Ignoramus21178

Tom doesn't do CNC. So, this table would be nice.
On 10/20/2011 02:33 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Well, he should learn! I'll NEVER go back!
Jon

I'm curious, do you like to write clever CNC programs? Or just do it all with CAD?
I just wrote this little gem that will cut a taper on my lathe. Specify small diameter, taper angle, and DOC. I made it generic for any future needs (This wouldn't run on any other control without modifing)
* ' Program to cut taper pintle for M3 tripod ' input variables 'taper angle 'diameter to stop cut at 'final large end I.D. 'DOC
'calculated variables ' above calculates the number of passes 'starting diameter,changes in program
M6 T0101 G0 Z1.0 X M3 S500 G0 Z0
N100 'LOOP POINT
G0 Z0 X G01 Z X F.01 G0 Z0 M95 N100 'LOOP TO N100 M5 G0 Z2
Karl
On 10/21/2011 06:30 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I almost never use CAD/CAM, ie. drafting in a CAD package and then converting with CAM. But, then, I so rarely do anything that isn't pure 2D work. Almost everything is cutting holes in panels.
So, I have a bunch of programs that write efficient G-code to cut rectangular and round holes in sheet, and stitch the output of these programs together to make one program for the entire part. I find this to be WAY faster than CAD/CAM. The program has built-in figures for roughing feeds and generates the roughing and finishing passes from just a few supplied values. I have versions for cutting the whole shape and trepanning, but almost always use the trepanning version when the cut goes all the way through.
Jon

Sure, just make sure you have a hydraulic lift cart for transporting it from storage to the mills table. I was using a 15" today at work to rework part of an assembly line.
At home I have a 12" rotary still sitting where I unloaded it many years ago. I'm not picking that sucker up until I need to use it. I'll eventually get my own lift cart for home.
Wes wrote:

I have a 10" tilting RT - bloody heavy - I use an engine hoist to lift it on/off the Bridgeport.

Just keep it on a cart and there is no need for a lift.
Ignoramus21178 wrote:

A cart takes up too much space, I tuck it on the bottom shelf of a cabinet (former tape library roll up door cabinet).

have you considerred something i call a die cart? It looks kind of like this pic except its just a cable and crank to raise. http://tinyurl.com/3fcs678
I have two, one slides under the roll-in saw when not in use, and the other sits under the end of the large mill.
Like you, floor space is a concern with anything I buy. I already got two pounds of shit in a one pound area.
Karl

I keep one on my boat as a back-up anchor