Tool Gloat

A friend of mine calls me up... Work is getting rid of a bunch of 3x5 I beams. Do you want them? $0.06/lb.

Sounds great I'll take em.

I ended up with 5 - 20' links. I may or may not have 4 more. They are spoken for, but they haven't been picked up yet and the company wants them gone ASAP.

While I was picking them up in their yard, I noticed an old K&T dividing head looking sort of neglected. I asked my friend to check into the status of it. Guess what, got to take that home too for the price of $0.06/lb(their calculated scrap rate for steel).

Needs a little cleaning, but it seems to be functional and complete. It of course only has one plate with it. Looks to be about 6"(didn't measure it yet) from center to table.

Two questions: Where would I go about getting another plate(s)? Or maybe a new complete set?

How do I go about mounting a chuck on this(which seems to me would be more convenient/useful than the currently installed center)?

Thanks

Jeridiah

Reply to
Jeridiah

Only one plate eh? Nah, not much use to you now.. However, I (like many here) care, and will take that boar anchor off your hands for no charge (e-mail me for my shipping address)

;-)

Nice find, though.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

The spindle on a dividing head is similar to one on the lathe. Adapt a back plate to the dividing head spindle. Mount a chuck to the back plate.

Look on ebay for plates. Might get lucky. Else find out what plates make your set and get some metal and make the required plates.

Gary Repesh

Reply to
GJRepesh

Gee, Robin, ya beat me outta that one, I could use a boat anchor ya know. BTW, I, and probably Harold, was wondering if you were done with OUR level yet?

michael

Reply to
michael

Uh, it's still adjusting to these wild temp. variations up here in Canada... Stand by..

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

I was wondering if I could do that. Can I with the one plate make other plates of differing holes? It doesn't seem like I should be able to, if I can than why would I need that plate. But as I think about it, that is after the 40:1 worm, so other divisions would be possible depending if you were on the input or the output of the worm.

How do I figure out what spindle I have? It looks small. Right now, I have the whole thing soaking in a pail of diesel before dissassembly and cleaning of it. It turns fine and seems to work, but as I started spinning it around, it looked like there might be some water working it's way out from around the graduated handle.

Any big secrets to taking this apart and not wrecking it? From diagrams of dividing heads I have seen, there is not anything overly critical to the operation inside. Am I wrong?

Jeridihah

Reply to
Jeridiah

If it is a simple dividing head all you'll find is a worm and worm wheel. Just take your time in the disassembly.

You will need access to another dividing head with plates, a rotary table or the correct plates that fit your dividing head (do you have a machinist friend you can borrow from?) to make your missing plates.

Gary Repesh

Reply to
GJRepesh

I hope you have good charma, I'd be waiting for the other shoe.

Reply to
Tom Gardner