Electrically Opened Wall Mounted Residential Bicycle Lock

which may be patentable, but who cares.

Status of "bicycle lock" in this group:

I'd like to attach a device to the brick outside wall of our ground floor condominium apartment, with permission, within what the condominium association calls our limited private use area and we call our patio, and have it open when the exterior lighting is turned on from inside the apartment.

Probaby modify a surplus Metrorail wheelchair holder, if one is available....

Any ideas? Open when lights on, closed and secure with lights off. Possibly auto close when bumped by the wheel. A complicating factor: ATB tires are much larger than wheelchair wheels, and Teri's bike has

20 inch wheels, so a vertical adjustment *might* be needed.

Sure, if someone comes by with a car battery, and inverter, and a suicide cord, they could release the lock and steal the bike. Who would do that?

Doug Goncz Replikon Research Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394

Reply to
The Dougster

Use of a stepdown transformer (wallwart) at the light fixture would obviate need for meeting code with wiring from fixture to bikelock, assuming that the light fixture is somewhat inaccessible.

A bit of electronics could make the supply voltage a high frequency, say 20 KHz. Then a capacitor or highpass filter in the lock would block attempts to operate with a different power source unless the thief "knew the secret" and could produce similar power from a portable source.

Reply to
Don Foreman

To find out, pack 2 oz 60% in the frame with an electrical squib and proper safety circuitry. Read about it in the newspaper ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

Indeed. But pack it down in the seat tube. Not only will you get a rise out of them..but it will be a Darwin Event if they survive having the seat post launched through their nads and out the top of their head.

Gunner

Gunner

That would look something like this:

Only 4130 steel instead of wood. (Just so it remains on topic!)

Pete

Reply to
Bushy Pete

Look into magnetic locks. These have tremendous holding power and all you would need on the bike would be a flat steel plate.

You can see pictures here:

These have no moving parts, and once the bike is attached it aint going anywhere.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

How about a solenoid operated "pin" working a little like a trunk latch on a car? Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

This is a good suggestion, Another big guy and I (I'm 6'2, 315, and he is bigger than me), tried to open a door held shut by one of those and there was no way we could even budge it.

Reply to
Emmo