Backpedaling Electric Bicycle Hub

I preemptively publish and establish a 1-year deadline for my own
patent application in the USA thusly:
I spoke about my MOEPED series of ultracapacitor electric bicycles
with a friend--my boss from my "apprenticeship" days. I created the
business name "Replikon Research" to bill this guy with. I billed him.
He paid me. The supercontractor paid him. The supersupercontractor
paid the supercontractor, and the Navy paid the supersupercontractor.
It was the SES-2000, later cancelled, and the bearing bores I did sit
rusting in the yard in Brentwood. I got a few CoCo credits out of it.
We agreed a key issue in e-bike design is stop signs and signals. He
mentioned the power-to-weight and flexibility of the hydraulic swash-
plate motor/pump, and I countered that all infotainment and NAV/COM is
electrical, not hydraulic. We agreed I'd get to work on something that
would give cyclists *positive incentive* to stop on sign or signal,
and an advantage restarting.
I ordered a 3-flute 5/16 milling bit and some 5/16 OD x 1/8 thick
neodymium magnets. The prospects for torque using frame mounted coils
were good.
I turned to an old rear hub I had. I mounted it to a side flange of an
EV Wilderness front hub. I sawed the shaft off and bored out the
magnet core. I rabetted the core, turned down a cog, pressed the cog
in the rabett, v-grooved the land adjacent the cog, and rolled the
grooved lip over to secure the cog. It spun nicely on the freehub body
of the old rear hub, and the side plate spun nicely when the freehub
body was held steady. TIR to be measured later.
Then came assembly. Ack! Major Magnet Suck. 1/r^3. Yikes. I developed
a sleeve to protect the magnet core from suck and misalignment, then
the mental fog parted and I order a bit of 4130 steel DOM tubing and a
pair of bearings. When they arrive, the tubing will be concentric with
the hub body and the bearings will guide the magnet core into place in
the armature core, to which the spokes attach.
Remaining:
2 brushes commute the armature. They're held by the magnet core, which
rotates on the freehub body. To what do these connect? More slip rings
to get out of the hub, or a single slip ring pair to battery or
ultracapacitors mounted Green Wheel style around the hub?
Measuring the input power. We've discussed the options; the Polar
brand's use of chain tension by vibration frequency times chain speed
by counting is the best I've seen.
You understand the idea, though? Coasting down a hill, any attempt to
put more power into a conventionally regenerating hub will just warm a
lot of air behind the cyclist, wasting energy, increasing forward
speed an infinitum. With this hub, backpedaling while coasting to a
stop or while descending increases the relative speed of magent core
and armature, greatly increasing the efficiency of capturing forward
motion and pedal power input.
The ideal platform seems to be a folding trike, tadpole style, with
this hub in back, and rim drive wheels in front. 3WD, seated comfort
at stop signs and signals, seated power generation, in-home use as a
backup geneartor, and a stable platform for all kinds of electronic
gadgets, which folds into a very heavy bag for all-mode transport:
bus, rail, subway, boat, probaby airplane (ultracapacitors are a
concern). Challenge offers just this trike. In yellow!
Buddy, can ya spare five grand?
Douglas (Dana) Goncz
Replikon Research
Seven Corners, VA 22044-0394