New Gun Problem

I hope I'm not gonna have to fix this problem.

I bought this chick gun as I call it a couple of years ago I guess. It is a Model 60 (I think) S&W .357 Mag. 5 shot. The other day I shot it with another for the first time and this thing shoots 1.5' low @ maybe

200'. It has one of those like fiber optic plastic end sights and wondering if I have to have the bottom of the big red dot above the "rail".

The book and box are deep in storage. Am I gonna have to send this thing back to the factory? The S&W site I tryed e-mailing before I bought it was no help. How, do I go about fixing this problem. I'm thinking it is just us, but I know how to shoot a gun and it is 1.5 feet low.

I've asked around here and all I get is "what ammo? and doesn't sound good". BTW 120 g. Oh, seems to have excessive side shrapnel, I had to stand back further than I thought when the other shot it.

I don't know what to do. Write snail mail to S&W, or call those bone heads where I bought it. The latter might be fun.

Since I'm on guns. I can't get a .22 rifle up here and I'd like to taste a goose for the first time before they all leave south like I should be doing. LOL. What is the deal? I have two registered guns and can't buy a pop gun. Suppose I'll have to wait and give a DNA sample to get a shot gun to shoot partridge.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

If you're getting excessive shrapnel from the cylinder/barrel junction, I would think that there is a problem with the alignment. You might be able to check it with a brass rod the same size as the .357 round. Gently run the rod from the barrel end down through the cylinder and see if there is any interference or if the cylinder moves when you go into it. You might also take it to a gunsmith for further testing. If there IS an alignment problem that could account for some of the drop.

1.5 feet at 200'. That's not bad. When I was on the Richmond, VA police department we had to shoot at 60 yards (180') as part of our qualifying. My 6" Colt had to be aimed at roughly the chin of the target to get center mass. The 4" S&Ws had to be aimed at about the forehead to achieve the same result. You figure it out. You didn't say what your barrel length is but I wouldn't think that a foot and a half drop at 200 feet would be something to be really concerned about. At that range handguns become more an artillery piece than a defensive weapon. You have to arc the shot onto the target. :-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Revolvers tend to shoot low, if you use a normal "target" alignment of the sights. In a combat situation, any normal person will have the front sight 'way high in the notch of the rear sight. It's just a natural reaction to a threatening and stressful situation. On a gun used for defense, that's how they're often set up.

My .38 Spl. Colt snubbie and .32 Colt Pocket Positive both shoot very low like that. My .38 Spl. Officer's Model Target shoots as you would expect a target gun to shoot: right on. The same is true with my Ruger SSM, which is not a defense gun, either.

Tell Sunworshipper to keep his .22 out of sight if he's hunting geese. It used to be against federal law to shoot migratory waterfowl with a rifle; I assume it still is.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I gather he's in Canada , and their laws might be different ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Try a heavier bullet. As far as the spitting, I hope you didn't buy that thing back when S&W was turning out crap. I bought a 25-5 maybe

30 years ago (ordered it) that had a barrel cylinder gap that was interference on one side and about 15 thou on the other. Sent it back, and it was a little better. Dumped it. It looked like they reamed the forcing cone with a rusty corn cob, and shot like it, too. I hear they're making better stuff these days, but I've never owned another S&W.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

My 90's vintage S&W 5906 has been flawless.

Reply to
Pete C.

Wisconsin, looks like I'll have all year to check into the laws.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

My 686-1 and Ruger GP100 are the best-shooting handguns I own aside from .22 rimfire.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Ayup. That pistol was sighted in to shoot a 158gr standard velocity bullet.

Recoil rise time is much shorter with a light fast bullet and thats why he is shooting low.

If he is going to continue to shoot that particular load..a file on the front sight is indicated

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Hey, Gunner. Did you get that item I left at Woody's for you on Friday?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Yes in deed! And many thanks! I got in there about 9pm and they had it sitting on the back bar since you dropped it off. Some folks sure gave me interesting looks when I picked it up. I think you enhanced my reputation a smidge. Some of the more obnoxious types kept their mouths shut while I was in there....chuckle

Let me know when the next shoot is, and Ill see about getting up there to volunteer, etc etc

Many thanks

Say! Afore I ferget....I would be interested in buying a bunch of once fired brass from yall, if you policed up the brass after the shoot.

.357, and .45ACP are what I need the most. Some 9mm would be nice too. Id pay cash or via Paypal if you fill a bucket with em

Im rather embaressed to admit Ive run out of most of my handloads..not built any ammo in about 4 yrs and this fall and winter, Im going to have to have a couple reloading parties to restock up.

I suppose it would be too much..if anyone had any .41 mag brass they would be interested in selling.....?

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Most happy to assist. :-)

I'll see what they have out there. The Lions Club, of which I am not yet a member, but soon will be, cleans up the range. I'll ask cliff, the Rangemaster, when I see him what they do with it.

Once things settle down around here regarding a couple of problems, I'm going to start talking to them about another one. They were happy that they made a few bucks. Next time I won't go nuts with the trophies and advertising and will save more for them.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

66 yards out of a revolver being 5 shot which I suspect has a short barrel?

How does it do at center of pie plate at 21 feet?

If low with a load you like, file down the front sight.

At the ranges this type of firearm is useful for, keep Col Cooper in mind, Front Sight, Press.

That is a separate issue. If it is spitting, the revolver cylinder / barrel may not be aligned. As mentioned, use a close fitting rod to check if barrel and cylinder are coaxial in battery.

Wes

Wes

Okay, what was the item? Use the lycos address if need be.

Wes

Wes

A Dust Collector. And a right nice one too!

1st Place trophy that I managed to somehow get by being less bad than everyone else in my particular class, cops, ex cops, military and ex military.

Shooting a Major caliber. Ran the course 2x, once with my daily driver

45, shooting street duty loads, and the other with my "at home in the desert" 4" .41 Mag, using full house hunting loads. No idea which one go the trophy. Double action only with the .41.

Oddly enough, I generally shoot faster and more accurately with a 4" wheelgun, have for years. But I carry a self loader because they are smaller and thinner than a similar wheel gun, and holds more ammo and the reloads take up less space.

Trophy had this shooter on the top in the FBI stance, all nicely done, right pretty. Jim did good. Very nice course of fire, easy for the women and kids and the non shooters who wanted to give it a try.

The range facilities are wonderful!!! Ive not seen such a nice range, as well taken care of and laid out so well, in many years, and seldom in California. Unfortunately its about 60 miles away from the little place I keep in the LA area, and about 150 miles from my home near bakersfield, so wont be going out there all that often. But I will be making the matches as they are scheduled.

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Dad got caught many years ago with a .22 autoloader on his hip while standing next to his truck after hunting elk (Utah , around 1980something) . Handguns of any description are forbidden while hunting elk , whether they are used or not (at that time , and AFAIK now too) . The fine was steep , but he got to keep his gun . If you get caught hunting geese in the USA with a rifle , you may very well go to jail . And never ever see that rifle again - it's a federal law , and they enforce it .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Hmm ... is it shaving lead when going from the cylinder to the barrel? If so, then it sounds as though cylinder alignment is not quite right among other things. Not sure whether this would lead to 1.5 foot drop, however. But it would slow the bullet down noticeably, and those

5-shot guns tend to have rather short barrels for ease of concealment, so the "what ammo" question I consider meaningful. A quick-burning powder which would get mostly burnt before the bullet exited the little 2" barrel would get a lot more muzzle velocity than one with a slower-burning powder in the same barrel -- even though the slower-burning powder might well get more muzzle velocity in a 6" or 8" barrel.

So -- if you have a combination of muzzle velocity loss from the wrong powder and from serious lead shaving going from cylinder to barrel, then you might be slow enough for the 1.5 foot drop to be reasonable.

And -- I'm not sure that something with that short a barrel makes sense to be using at 200 feet. I've seen that kind of drop in a .38 special with a similarly short barrel in 100 feet.

Where is "up here"? Sounds like someplace to avoid to me. :-)

:-)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
[ ... ]

Have a little, yes. Interested in selling -- "Hell No!" That's my favorite serious handgun. :-) Not quite as nasty to my wrist as a .45 Magnum, so I don't own the larger one.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I have a SIG P226 that shoots way low. I bought it used, refurbished, LE exchange. Upon inspection, I see that the rear sight is a #7 while the front sight is a #8. Hm!

Some if not many shooters have issues with recoil control. I know, the P226 is a 9mmp with negligable recoil, nonetheless...

To your sit, depends on bullet and load but 18" of drop at 200' is a lot for .357 with m.v. typical of a .357 with 120 gn bullet if it's zeroed at 25 yd (75 ft).

If ya can't specify m.v., nobody can he'p ya much. Aim high.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I might get back to the same place today and measure, probably way off on the distance. Still, with all other hand guns that I've shot it has never that bad. Horizontally seems good.

Been having problems with Agent, the read ones won't stay read for some reason. So, having trouble navigating.

Reply to
Sunworshipper