New Gun Problem

Took it back and had the land owner try it for the third person and he broke out a screwdriver cause it did the same thing to him also. Got it down to 3" right @ 100' and need a specifiable wrench to get it further. Didn't ask about the shrapnel cause he was doing so good. If someone can come within 8" max. at that distance it is ok for me.

Obviously they do not sight new guns at all. I assumed they would.

I'm good, I can shoot it now if I shoot 3" to the left till I get a gun smith or wrench to move it over a bit past the screw drive.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Really! Well won't be doing that then. Guess I have to drag around a boat and decoies and ahhh lots of gas to find them and shoot them full of spittting pelletsfrom a shot gun instead of head shots to be legal.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

No shit. Something is wrong up here. Like I moved to a different country. Weird is all I can say. Took me 2 months to get a drivers licence. And now can't get a new gun. It has been a month or more and the gun shop is still holding the gun and I feel bad to inadvertently stringing them along, as I see it.

Up here , is north country. I swore I would never do winter like this kind, ever, again. All I need is a .22 rifle and a shot gun with my SKS and pocket gun, but they don't seem to realize that I protected 40 judges and never hurt a one.

Hey, they have big turkeys up here and I hear ya have to shoot them

200' from the road. I'm like , I'll bring a landscape tape measure and shoo them off in the woods to take a head shot. Probably have to shoot them with a shot gun and full of pellets to make it legal.

O well , what else is new.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Really thanks for telling me. I was about to shoot them with a SKS cause they won't let me have a .22 . A shot gun could be possible, but ya would have to wait for those really low formations. There was one solo goose flying back and forth at maybe 300' and 4 passes. It was so lost , flying east and west, I held out my hand like inviting a cat or dog.

Sounds funny to me ya can't shoot a one.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

I have a 3-1/2" magnum 12 ga. that I got just for shooting geese. It's about as rough on my shoulder as it is on the geese, but I can really reach out there with that gun.

However, here in NJ we have an estimated 98,000 of the non-migratory, semi-domesticated giants (Branta canadensis maxima) now, and the suckers fly around with the migratory birds -- until the migratory ones head south. While that's going on, you can decoy the maximas with a piece of foam rubber taped to your hat, cut to look like a slice of Wonder Bread, and shoot them with a .410 and cylinder choke. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

be careful..that barrel may be pinned into the frame

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Reply to
Gunner Asch

They didn't like your 'Cheesehead' hat?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Those geese are a nuisance in these parts. They're so bold they think they can bluff a pickup truck on the way to Wal-Mart.

They do step smartly when their bluff is called.

No gun needed to harvest these varmints, a machete would suffice.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Same here, but 'tain't legal. You have to run up to them and kick them in the butt, then, when they take off, shoot 'em.

It's not very sporting but they're delicious. And you're helping the environment.

A few years back one of my son's soccer games was called by the ref because the kids were slipping all over on the goose crap. They're that thick around here. It's hard to believe that back in 1960, biologists were ready to declare the maxima subspecies extinct. All of the maximas in the country are believed to come from one small bunch of captive ones, from somewhere in the upper Midwest, that may have been a hunting club's live decoys at one time.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Lost me. Not gonna have anyone take it apart. Seemed to fix it with a screw driver, it is close enough for now. I don't know gun smithing and saw someone local, so might go see him. Or not, might figure out how to buy the right wrench from S&W to move the site some more. And check the alignment with the barrel like others have said.

Anyhow thanks guys, cause I was really worried, cause it was shooting very badly to me.

It was for the big bad city, now it is just for higher food chain animals before they eat me.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Is that rear sight "fixed", i.e. mounted in a dove tail? If it is, save your money buying a wrench from S&W. If it is anything like a Glock you can make your own fixture. All it is is a clamp that fits over the receiver with a jackscrew that forces the rear sight one way or the other. The rear sight on my S&W 3904 9mm is adjustable with a screwdriver for L/R and elevation but I'm not familiar with your model.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

[ ... ]

Note that some models have the rear sight simply as a groove milled into the top of the frame -- so there is no provision for adjustment. And those are likely to have the front sight blade silver-soldered to the barrel as well, so adjustment becomes really difficult.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I guess in that case you could open up the sight on the side you need to corect to and solder up and black the other side. Crude, but effective. :-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Or screw in the barrel a little, which is why Gunner was warning of pinned barrels. Of course, that only works if the revolver is shooting to the side aided by screwing in. Otherwise, you have to cut the shoulder back, screw in again, and recut the forcing cone. Way too much work.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

The rear site is adjustable vertically and horizontally. It's just the guy said it was getting tight to move it anymore to the right. On the other side of the set screw is one of those type of screws one would see on a machine, can's recall the name at the moment, but looks like two holes opposite each other. That is the tool I was talking about and with it, it might enable me to move the sight further right.

Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

That's the sight screw nut and it's staked to the the adjustment screw. Mess with that and the adjustment screw snaps, that's the factory method for changing rear sight blades. Twist the nut until the screw snaps and replace BOTH nut and screw after swapping the blade. Then you have to have the special staking tool to stake the new screw to the nut. Be careful with messing with stuff you don't know about. It can get expensive!

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Hmmm, back to the gunsmith idea. Thanks. Got me, need it to shoot straight if a bear shows up.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

[ ... ]
[ ... ]

Hmm ... steel shim stock washer to move the sight to the "loosening" side?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Many revolvers with the barrels screwed into the frame, have a cross pin to keep it screwed in. Tweaking the barrel one way or another a degree or two to ajust for windage, is common on fixed sight weapons..but that pin HAS to come out first.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Some..some...Smiths had a push/push screw adjustment, similar to lathe gibs, Loosen up one side, screw the other in, moves the sight to the loose side, etc etc

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner