The Gun Hatin Neighbor

I don't know if you remember my post about the neighbor that doesn't like me shooting, but since last time... I haven't shot for a little over 2 months, last Monday or Tuesday I decided to adjust the iron sights on my AR-15 so I shoot for a few shots, around 5:30-6 PM or so. Sunday morning I hear our neighbor shooting right outside our house at 6:21 AM, note I shoot around

300 yards from his house, he shoots ~10 yards from my house just to be an asshole. He's not target practicing, just shooting into the ground to wake us up early. So, I get up every morning at 5:10 AM for work all week, his shooting on Sunday morning isn't that big of a deal, I'm usually awake laying in bed.

Last week, after we shot, we would have liked to shoot some more but I didn't want to disturb the neighbor any more, we chose not to exercise our right to shoot because of him. But he shoots next to our house Sunday morning, within 5 minutes after Sunrise. So that afternoon I get out the 44 magnum and do some target practice. I figure if he doesn't appreciate us not shooting for 2 months to be nice to him, then hell with him. I also shot the AR-15 several rounds yesterday after work. My goal is to shoot every night and video record him coming over here Sunday morning to shoot.

His house is across the street and down the road a bit, he drives his truck and parks on the side of the road. I want to tape if he's taking the gun out of a case and loading it, or transporting a loaded firearm illegally. He shoots 6 rounds, takes a bit to reload, shoots 6 more rounds, reloads, about 5 times, 30 rounds or so. I'm wanting to wait until he's reloading and opening fire on my target range, the idiot will be standing there with an empty gun while I could be filling him with lead if I desired. Maybe a tannerite binary exploding target as an attention getter!

What kind of moron thinks he's the law outside of city limits.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Obviously you need a night vision scope so you can practice after sundown.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

If it were me, I would set up a camera in a concealed location and tape him crossing the road, coming next to your home, and shooting; then show that to my local authorities (and talk to a local lawyer).

Whose land is he on when he does this? His, or someone elses? Maybe you couold get that property posted as "no trespassing" by the owner?

I wouldn't confront someone as psycho as your neighbor. Sounds like a real loose cannon - with no respect for anyone but himself. Stay clean and within the law - let the other guy screw up...without geting yourself hurt - or killed. Take consolation in the ammo/cash he's wasting ;-)

Reply to
Bill

Sounds like good ideas. The property is his farm land so what he's doing is only illegal if it's because he's within 10 yards of my house or because he's just doing it to be a nuisance (they have admitted that they do this to get back at me for shooting over 300 yards from their house). If they would let me know what days and times they want to sit outside without hearing gunfire, I'll shoot around their schedule. What it seems he wants it to be able to make the law for the neighborhood and everyone has to obey his command.

On Sunday mornings he drives his truck maybe 150 yards down his driveway then about 150 yards down the road, parks, walks in his field right next to out house and shoots about 30 rounds, reloading after every 6 shots. I want to catch on camera if he's transporting his gun legally, in a case and unloaded, for the ~150 yards he drives on the public road. I have a good bit of R/C equipment, been flying models since 1981, so I can set a couple of cameras on servos to pan and tilt. If I desired I could set a gun on servos but he's not worth it unless he attacks us first.

My current wireless IP camera and my video camera with transmitter doesn't have zoom on either camera, maybe I can use my camcorder too, it has a remote.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Sounds like a good excuse to buy yourself a .50 BMG rifle.

I was reading the other day about a new muzzle attachment for your AR15 that amplifies the crack to a very noticeable degree. Might be fun.

Reply to
Rex

You need to inform your local Sheriff about this and get it on the record, regardless of whatever action the the Sheriff is able to take.

Sometimes it just takes someone seeing a badge at their front door to give them a reality check.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Yes, I've been calling the sheriff's office the first time they did this and the they told me to let them know when he does this. This time when we called they couldn't find it, I happened to keep a log of the incident and was able to give them the exact date of the first incident.

I don't mind being neighborly and considerate, that's why I went 2 months without shooting. Then I want to get my iron sights in the ballpark and he does it again. I didn't stop shooting for 2 months because he's the king of the neighborhood, I did it to be considerate. Then I shoot one time and he's close (~10 yards) from the back of my house shooting at 6:20 AM Sunday. So, since he doesn't appreciate it I shot Sunday afternoon, Monday after work, and tonight after work. Our sunset time is currently around 7:40, I quit shooting by 6:30 or so.

Tonight the neighbor and his wife comes out here after 9PM with chain saws cutting trees on the property line, just to punish us for shooting. I wish they would clean up the rest of the trees off the property line! I think they want to be able to see us, or perhaps record us shooting, it will just make more sound travel to their property, the vegetation that they removed helped deaden the sound.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Like I said last time, look up and print out all the applicable Federal, State, County and Local laws that apply to the subject, and feel free to highlight the applicable statutes and attach notes as needed. Then save a copy for yourself, and make one or two copies for the local AHJ - Sheriffs Dept or Eq., State Highway Patrol if you're really out in Nowhere Land. Might even run them by a lawyer to make sure you didn't leave anything out.

Then write up your request for "times and days when it would be acceptable"... and leave it at that for openers - and the Sheriff gets a CC of that letter too.

And set up lots of cameras and put the DVR inside an armored box in the house, or better yet put in a Dummy DVR that appears to have everything while the real one is hidden away. And keep the house doors locked at all times.

A home Burglar Alarm with Central Station dialer (or better a StarLink Cell Data dialer in case they snip the phone line) and a Panic Button remote wouldn't be a bad idea.

In case shit gets serious and then he tries to clean up after the fact (or break in to plant false evidence) you have the footage of him messing with you, breaking into the house and a hidden camera on the Dummy DVR next to the vault as he's ripping it out by the roots thinking he's taking the evidence...

If you suspect he's at all unstable, carry at all times - not just the weapon you're testing, have a backup holstered and ready to go. Have a friend or relative around to help. And find some Kevlar Long-Johns in case he tries to escalate unexpectedly.

You're dealing with fire - Even if you're trying to handle this civilly, he may not choose to reciprocate. The shooting into the dirt for no discernable reason right at the edge of the property line kinda proves that.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

Do you own a backhoe?

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer." Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Do the rest of us a favor...shoot him dead and spend the rest of your life behind bars, where you will no longer a be threat to the population at large..

Careful, he might get to you first...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

For digging a tiger trap no doubt.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I used to, I sold it, it sat and every time I went to use it, there would be a new leak, seemed like an hour of fixing per hour of use.

I do have a little Kubota 4wd tractor with the front end loader, that's what I used to dig my backstop.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Roger, what you are describing is not a gun hating heighbor. Your neighbor owns guns and uses them, although in a disagreeable way. This is a neighbor who does not like shooting near his property.

Reply to
Ignoramus11851

Roger, I do not know what state you are in, but in Pa. there is a safety zone where no hunting is allowed within a certain distance from any structure. Does your state have this provision? and Could what he does be classified as "hunting"?

Reply to
bobm46

I got my hunter-safety badge in PA and it was 100 or 150 yards from an occupied dwelling for *firearm discharge*, not just hunting. But that was in 1960. I doubt if the law has gotten any looser. I think it's now 150 yards.

Roger is in Illinois. State law there is 300 yards from an occupied dwelling for hunting with a rifle or handgun, unless you have permission from the owner; it's 100 yards for shotguns firing shotshells.

But Illinois is loaded with tighter municipal regulations.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Roger should offer the free use of his target range to the local, state and federal law enforcement angencies. Hold a NRA member shooting day once a month. SWAT team practice.

At any rate i see this evolving into a pissing match no matter what happens. No winners except the lawyers.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

LOL You two assholes deserve each other.

Considering all the hateful horseshit you post, your neighbor problems are making me believe in karma.

The same kind of moron who broadcasts his daydreams about killing.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

No, this is a neighbor that doesn't seem to like Roger.

Reply to
jdc

The neighbor is clearly not right in the head to dischage a firearm that close to an occupied dwelling; and someone that unbalanced could "snap" and turn violent with little or no warning. So I agree - if you have any other place you can shoot - do your shooting there and not at home. Like line from Star Wars: "Let the Wookie win." might be the best, and safest, solution.

Reply to
Bill

Philosophical question: if these guys would do their shooting while the other was in church, would there be a sound?

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost