MIG Newbie: What size Cyl AR/CO2

I recently bought a Hobart Handler 140 while on sale @ Graingers. Been too
busy to take it out of the box yet.
What size cyl would be the best for a newbie Hobbyist...how long roughly
will a tank last ?
I see there are 20 cuft and 80's. Will a 20 run out often ?
Like many things, is there a savings in getting the BIG one instead ?
Rudy
Howdy Howdy! I would certainly recomend purchasing the 80 CU ft cylinder for your welder size. Mine has lasted several years between fillings. Refill here is about 20$ for C-25 gas. The tanks price difference aren't that different, and I think it's a much more common size anyway. Hence, volume of tanks make it more cost effective to produce type of thing. (good all around gas for the process and materials our lil wire feeders handle) It's 75% argon, 25% CO2. For me, I am upgrading to a 150 cu ft tank, but thats because I'll be getting a Power Mig 350 MP which puts out 300 amps at 60% duty cycle. It also consumes about twice the gas. I found for a 150 cu foot (overkill for the lil welders) it's only about 25$ more then an 80 cu foot cyl, and 10$ more to fill. Also, for referrence, once you get past 250 amps, the processess change a little to a spray transfer and not globular or short circuit transfer so the gas changes to facilitate this too. I'll be using 100% argon for arc characteristics now. Happy welding! Brian Lee Sparkeee24
Rudy wrote:
Reply to
Sparkeee24
I went with an 80 cu ft tank, and I'm a hobbyist. You can do the math and calculate how long a tank of a given size will last between refills. With your regulator set to 20 cu ft per hour an 80 cu ft tank will last you 4 hours. That's 4 hours of actual welding, of course. For me, the lion's share of time in a welding session is spent prepping and fitting metal before welding the joints. I'd say on a rough guess only 25 percent of the time is actual welding time per session, so an 80 cu ft tank will last me for 16 hours total. I only spend about 4 hours per session on Saturdays, maximum, so an 80 cu ft tank should last me at least a month between refills. So far this has born itself out.
The other nice thing about an 80 cu ft tank is that it is not too big to be carried around. I bring my tank to the welding supply store to get it refilled, which requires me to carry it to my pick-up truck and then into the store, and then back again. Although I have no experience with larger tanks, I suspect that a bigger one would start to get unmanageable.
(BTW, I made a wooden cradle that fits in my truck bed to transport my C-25 tank. Made of 2x4's, the tank rests horizontally between two rails and is strapped down to them. It's very secure and convenient. Not for use with acetylene!)
Reply to
Artemia Salina
As a little thing I do with my Dynasty with an 80cf I have a "hockey players bag" I can fit two 80 cf cylinders, grinders, backing and purging gear, cables, consumables,filler, etc. It's a bit heavy but I can always drop a cylinder to cut the weight in half. Makes lugging all the stuff way easier when a cart would just get in the way. It fits in the trunk of a car, looks innocuous enough not to be stolen from the inside rear of an extended bed pickup. all hidden, and yes, I cap it off! It was 20 bucks at Sports Authority.
Rob
Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.
Reply to
RDF
What are you welding? For steel fabrication, some percentage of CO2 will aid penetration. 92/8 supports spray transfer and should be more appropriate than 100% argon for most steel applications. You'll get into spray at a lower amperage with 100% argon but is it worth the trade-off of lower heat and penetration?
Reply to
ATP*
Thanks to all for your advice..an "80" it is. 20 bucks !! Where is "here" ? Thats a great price..its $ 60 (48 USD) here in Canada.
Rudy
Howdy! as to the 20$ refill, it may be because I am browsing heavily at a new welder, he wants me to get at HIS shope :P I try and get all the accesories before the welder. That way all the welding shops give you good deals cause they want you to spend the 4 grand at their place. And then you get it at the place that treated you the best. Brian Lee Sparkeee24
Reply to
Sparkeee24
My 86/14 Ar/CO2 80cf costs me $60 in Las Vegas. Prices pretty consistent at all the dealers. What is everyone else paying?
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
75/25 130 CF ....$21 in Santa Ana California
Gunner
Gunner